Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

simplicity 4212 help

I jsut purchased this tractor for some light cutting.. First off it wasnt charging the battery , then while cutting one day it died and it has no spark now :( i found the parts listings for the engine model jsut not sure what to order for i have never worked on small engines. if it was my car i'd know to get a coil and an alternator since the battery tests good :) its a 12 horse briggs, cast iron sleeve supposedly rebuilt motor but obviously needed more attention to the ignition/charging system any help is appreciated

Al
Hi, First we need to get it running again. On the left side of the tractor down by the throttle linkage should be a wire from the ignition and safety switches that kills the engine. Disconnect it and see if you have spark, if not the problem is in the engine. If you do the problem is in the tractor. If the problem is in the engine, remove the fan housing and you will see the electronic ignition module [coil] mounted next to the flywheel. Remove the wire from it, and turn the engone over, if it still has no spark, replace the module assy. Mount the new one .010" from the magnets on the flywheel. If it has spark with the wire disconnected, the wire is shorted out to something on the engine somewhere between the module and the terminal to the tractor. If you have to replace the module, don't connect the wire from the tractor until you hook a voltmeter to it and turn the ignition switch from the on positions to off at least 25 times, watching the meter for any flicker of an indication of voltage getting on that line. If this happens replace the switch [with the correct one] because it is shorting out internally to the magneto kill terminal and just one little voltage spike will destroy the new ignition module, and Briggs WILL NOT WARRANTY it. They have service bulletin that says to do this. Check these things out and post again and we will deal with the next step. Good luck, AL

thx al, probably while you were typing your reply i was staring at the wiring on this tractor trying to figure it out. after testing all the safety switches i disconected the wire your talking about and it started right up.. but shortly after smoke rolled out from under the seat. It's a box with multiple wires coming out of it mounted next to what looks to be a solenoid,its the electrical conection closest to the battery.So now i know the ignition switch was bad, or there was a short under the dash. I didnt get around to taking the dashboard out yet but now im curious to what caused this box to fry, and what its purpose is.I should probably just get a service manual if they are available. thx again, Brad It's amazing how clueless I am with a small engines when i have rebuilt many gm V'8's couple v6's .. :o)

Sandy_Lake_Imp
What you scorched was the safety interlock module. We stock new ones. It may have been the source of your problem. Your charge system problem may just be the in-line diode on the right side of the engine. This is a low output system with no regulator & just a diode to filter the ac juice to dc.