Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snapper garden tractor club??

lboy1971

Was in a Simplicity and Snapper dealer yesterday. Those Snapper riders were sitting next to the Simplicity and they looked the same outside of the color. Does Snapper have a loyal following for lawn tractors? I have several older snapper push mowers and think they are very good but think they were that big into lawn tractors.

I can't remember the details now but about 3 years ago Simplicity and Snapper merged and they are the same tractor other than paint and decals...Someone here could tell the details..better than me..Might even be in the history section on simpletractors site

Go to snapper.com you will see a website very much like the simplicity site and it say copyright simplicity manufacturing. It looked like they have brand most simplicity and Ferris stuff with snapper badges. I did not see a Legacy snapper, but think the rest of the simplicity line up is available.

Snapper rear engine riders were HUGE sellers around here. Not sure why, but they were. I didn't realize they even made tractor style mowers until a few years ago.

The push mowers are great, very tough machines. The rear engine riders were hugely popular. Tons of them everywher I go. They were great for smaller yards. As for their garden tractors, I think the 1st ones were the 1650's etc. Snapper also built these for Massey Ferguson. They sort of have a following. At one time in the 1990's Snapper made a compact that looked larger than the legacy, looked about the size of a Farmall cub or slightly larger. I've only seen pics of those.

As a child our first rider was a Snapper rear engine. On a local note the past midwest distributer for Snapper (Tex B, retired for may years) died last week. He lived real close to the family farm and a long time friend. Plus the owner of the remaining original Snapper dealers still open, (Hayworth IL) I was told past away last week as well. Snapper was big around her and should still be, but Snapper when thought some hard times.

I was just curious why Simplicity was putting Snapper decals on some of their riding lawn mowers. When I think of Snapper I think of push mowers and rear engine riders. I know our hero, Brett Favre, is an ad man for Snapper on tv, but couldn't they just get him on a Simplicity? Are they selling more tractors overall because some are decaled as Snappers?

I think it is also for snapper only dealers, this way they have larger tractors to sell. I am sure some in some area and some people would buy a snapper over a simplicity, even if they are twins. It is like buying a Whirlpool or the Kenmore twin, many will be loyal to a brand. Those are the people simplicity needs to target, even if they want the snapper, or Massey versions.

Even when snapper was in Wal Mart they had a line of lawn tractors. When Simplicity aquired snapper, they probably decided to discontinue those models and replace them with the Simplicity's they were already building. Most Snapper dealers do not sell the Simplicity built tractors, at least not in St.Louis, since most people in those areas are mainly looking for a rear engine rider or push mower.

Snapper has almost twice as many dealers as Simplicity, when Simplicity bought them.... Also, in many areas of the country, such as the Southeast, Simplicity had virtually no dealers whereas there were Snapper dealers all over the place.

I worked on a friends full size Snapper last summer. It was a late 70s/early 80s with a horizontal BS twin 16 on it but had that oddball rubber wheel drive system like the rear riders had but with a hi/lo. It also used 20" rear tires with a single bolt wheel. It was one of the strangest setups I ever saw but after sitting in a field for 7 yrs, all it took was some carb work and new electric parts to bring it back. He is currently repainting it and plans to keep it going. He feels like part of the team since I told him Simplicity owns the company. On another note, I have a '68 Comet 30 out back that was praised by the previous owner before it blew the 6 apart. I'm not sure if it's worth bringing back but if they're as popular as some of you say, maybe it would be worth the resale. I pirated the front tires for my 3108 and learned that manually removing a tire from a 4" rim is not doctor reccommended-