Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Easy fast paint removale

FastPaul

Experimenting a little tonight,I used some CRC gasket remover,let it sit in the sink a while , I tryed a sos pad and a sanding sponge both worked well,About 10 min. labor I got most of the paint off,I also noticed for the second time Simp. & A/C diden't use primer? Dose anyone have any history on the painting prosess of these tractors?

I found that a bit of heat with a torch work well. Only a quick sanding, and ready for priming. I don't recommend doing it indoors, I'm not sure if these 30+ year old paint has any lead in it or not. I do it outside "down wind when possible" at work. You just have to be careful not to heat thin stuff up too much, but it works pretty well. get the rust, grease, and grime off as well as the old paint. Elon

gasket remover in a spray can is basically just paint stripper, that normally comes in quarts handy but alot more expensive. i keep a can handy for small jobs

gasket remover in a spray can is basically just paint stripper, that normally comes in quarts handy but alot more expensive. i keep a can handy for small jobs

quote:
Originally posted by Glacier
I tried Elons trick with the torch and was very suprised with the results. It sure is alot faster than sandblasting.
It would be wrong for me to take full credit for the idea, Marty "MPH" tryed it to remove rust about a year ago. Elon

Ever try using a 4" wire cup wheel in a grinder? It makes the paint disappear in a hurry. Use a lighter wire so it does'nt eat metal.

I sometimes don't use a primer, either, especially if I am going to give several coats of paint to the metal I am painting. I basically use a primer to fill out the rust pits before painting. Best I have found for removing paint from anything is a good stiff coat of either Strypeze, or Kutzit. Be certain to wash whatever you are cleaning the paint off of quickly after stripping, as the strong strippers keep eating and have to be neutralized, or you have a very nicely rusted piece of metal to play with.

Not sure, but think current was sent thru the parts and then dipped into paint. Not sure if this is right though on all parts, maybe some. Current attrachted the paint to the part.

In my opinion... Use primer!!!! Primer is ment to stick to bare metal. Most primers will self etch to grip the metal better. As with any good paint job, the best paint job is what you can't see. It starts with the steel, or what ever material, is being painted. Even if you only use spray bombs, do it right. Start at the bottom and work your way to the top coat. The small amount of work you put in up front will pay in the long run. To use somone else's quote, "do it right do it once". Ken