Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ever see one of these?

Chris727

Ok, wrong color, but I picked up this "barn fresh" Spirit of 76 Cadet for $25.00 this morning.

It came with 2 decks but the engine is gone and it needs 4 tires. I think I have an engine for this one somewhere. Definitely a rare tractor.

I'd say that ones a canditate for restoration though it is a Cub. Check out this restored one on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/IH-CADET-Spirit-of-76-tractor-RESTORED-Cub-Cadet_W0QQitemZ7745186800QQcategoryZ50372QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem If that is the correct engine in the auction, I do have the same engine (either 7 or 8HP briggs electric/manual start) stored down in the neighbors barn.

Nick thanks for the auction link. I'm surprised at how little its brining, I've read that a good restore is worth about $1200.

Are the lettering and stars decals or painted? I'll bet the one you have will fetch more since it is still original. Those things mean a lot. The early 70s Plymouth Duster and the mid-70s AMC Gremlin both relaeased models that had a painted gremlin and the Duster had this swirling dust thing with two eyes. Those POS gremlins, and Dusters (great car IMO) are worth big bucks if the original painted characters are on there (relative to overall condition, of course). The decal ones aren't worth their weight in scrap. So, if you're going to restore, think about keeping the graphics original---mask them and paint around them if you have to.

Simplicity314, they are decals. My tractor does have one thing his didn't, an original white seat, though it has a couple of cracks. I'll be sure to stay as original as possible, the goodyears are shot but I'll try to find a good pair off another 76 cadet. The one on ebay also had the engine painted the wrong color.

My buddy Charlie has a book or two on cubs never saw one of them in that size 382 right They made a big frame spirit tractor too. That size tractor works great as a scooter to get around a big show Charlie let me run his red 382 all around a few shows one year till I got my B110 right to be safe enough to drive

I believe that each dealer got only one of these per dealership. Neat little tractor. I saw one setting in a tractor dealers graveyard and thought what a shame,Matt