Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

pulley pulling tips sought

Simpleton7016

Trying to pull off a pulley and having difficulties. Pictures are below. I have lubed it up for several days with Kroil (thanks to advice from folks around here). I have given 'er some good whacks with a hammer and attached the pulley puller. No dice! Any tips? Yes, there is a set screw in the pictures, but it is just there so that I do not lose it. It is BARELY threaded in and I have had the same result (or lack thereof) with it out. Anyone have any tips? I don't have torches to heat it up, but maybe some propane heat? More time? More patience? Any tips? I do not want to bend it....but it is on the verge if I crank 'er down any more.:( Thanks in advance and sorry if this belongs in a different forum, Erik [img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/revitalizerpulley11.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/revitalizerpulley22.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/revitalizerpulley33.jpg[/img]

also since you have some room to go on the back you could tap from the front to "free" it up. eye protection and an old socket over the axle. have used in a pinch and helped as long as there is no rear shoulder that the pulley sits against. Watch pulleys on other side of the axle or bearings etc as they may move first. and yes any heat you could get to it would help scott

You could pull the shaft out and get it soewhere with a press and pop it right off. I know this sounds like a lot of trouble but w/ a pulley this size your not concentrateing much pulling force onto the stuck hub area. So getting it against something solid should do the trick.

ok, you have oil on the parts, and jaw puller on there. Have you tried to jam a long prybar in the jawpuller so it will wedge itself on the arms and not the threads of the puller, and a big wrench/breaker bar or carefully with a air impact wrench. did you try to hit the end of the head of the puller with a big hammer and turn it-tighten it back up, hit it again ..repeat.???

Another thing I have had some luck with is remove the set screw, have it turned to the top then fill the hole with kroil. A none spray can typre works easier for doing this, or 'capture' some spray in a can then drip it in. Helps to get it soaking farther down the shaft.

If you have access to a air hammer it will come right off with ease. I bought me one a while back and I am amazed at how easy they will come off with a air hammer.

Drill holes at an equal distance from center, install proper length bolts to use a flywheel style puller, and at least one flat washer (to spread out the pressure and help on not distorting the pulley) and a nut the bolt from the back side of the pulley. No doubt the closer to the hub you can use a puller, the easier it will come off. Oh yeah, I agree, remove the set screw and use penetrating oil or use heat.

B.R.

Heat will help a lot. I use MAPP gas instead of propane because it burns much hotter. Apply the heat to the pulley collar to get it to expand on the shaft. If the shaft can slide in the bearings and the frame is strong enough, you might try using a hammer and drift pin to push the shaft out of the pulley instaed of using the puller. Those pressed steel pulleys can flex and bend too easily using a puller. I like the idea of putting penetrating oil into the setscrew hole.

First get rid of the jaw puller!!!!! All that is going to do is bend the pulley!!!!! Take the set screw out completely and get some PB Blaster. Spray some into the set screw hole and around the shaft. Do this for a day from time to time. If you have room in the back of the pulley, try to tap the key in further into the shaft past the pulley. If it does clear the pulley, just spray again and try to turn the pulley on the shaft. If the key doesn't come out of the pulley, then spray again and try to tap the pulley off using a long punch or pry bar. Tap it at the shaft, that will be the strongest part of the pulley. those small propane touches will work as well. Please just don't use the jaw puller, you will ruin the pulley!!! Elon

OK fellas....she's a soakin. Great tips, thanks. Hey Ron, what is the name of the software that you used to point out where to drill the holes? I see you and Maynard and a few others use it. It is awfully slick and sure beats trying to explain things, hey? Anyway, I will let her soak a few days, try to jar the key loose and drill the holes for use with a flywheel style puller. I don't have one, but I'll see if my dad has one. I am sure he does. Who knows, I might get some more freebie stuff from him too! ^ I'll try some heat too! But what is MAPP heat? I do not have access to an air hammer, but I like the idea of hammering the shaft. The pulley is off of revitalizer that I found locally. It is in dire need of restoration. Below are some pictures of the unit. I can't take the whole shaft off because the pulley has to come off first Thanks for the advice. I will take my time. And here is the reason...I have no choice but to take my time. These two guys need a lot of time. It's funny, my oldest boys first two-word sentence was "tractor broken". He picked that up a few months ago when I was screwing around with the front clutch for my snow thrower. Mom brought them home and there was no room to park in the garage. He pointed to the tractor as they walked by and mommy said "tractor broken"....somehow that stuck and even now that the tractor is fully operational and throwing snow like crazy, he still points to it and says "tractor broken". [img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/tractorobstacles11.jpg[/img] Here is a picture of it all apart. [img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/revit22.jpg[/img] Here it is with the set screw hole full of Kroil. I hope I wake up tomorrow with it empty! woohoo [img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/revit11.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/revit33.jpg[/img]

Lots of good tips here..Not sure I can ad much,LOL Sometimes I have pounded the pulley on farther to "break it loose" so to speak if you can get it to move just a little either way sometimes you can work it loose enought to finally get it off..Also if you do try this sometimes I will use a file to the edge of the pulley..More times than not I have gotten a pulley loose on the shaft but can't get it past the outer edge of the shaft..I think the edge gets mushoon shaped somewhat from the pounding and the pullers..If you do get it worked loose keep using lots of spray oil and it will rinse off the rust dirt ect. for easier removal.. Mapp gas is a hotter burning fuel..It comes in bottles just like the propain does and will hook right up to the torch..It cost quite alot more but well worth it..It comes in yellow colored bottles..I have found that for my use its just as cost effective to use the Mapp gas because it heats up parts alot faster thus not running the torch as long burning fuel.. Good luck with it..

Well! Will all the help you have right here . that pully should be laying on the floor by now!...Good luck with your porject.Oh yeah Spend sa much time as you can with those two boy's.Cause they will be all growen up befor you know it.

quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton7016
Hey Ron, what is the name of the software that you used to point out where to drill the holes?
My program is MGI PhotoSuite 8.1 It is over 4 years old so if it is still available it is probably 'new and improved' and 10 times less understandable to use. I used it at work and ever since, so when my computer dies, I don't have the CD (it's at work or probably long gone) to reprogram it on a new computer and need to learn some other way of pointing and picturing. B.R.

Thanks Ron. i will have to look into something like that and see if we have it available through work ourselves.