Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16HP briggs

maxtorman1234

went to a small engine dealer yesterday, had lots of aluminum engines there, i looked around a bit and found a brand new 16HP cast iron briggs engine its got a tapered shaft for a generator. The guy is asking $1000 CAD for it. It comes complete with everything, no starter though as its a pull start. What do you guys think of the price? think it's worth buying? I was thinking about it, but dont really have the need,

That is not to bad of a price. the short block cost more than that thru Briggs. I paid $850.00 for a new one 3 years ago thru Small Engine Warehouse. I also paid $550.00 for one on eBay last summer but had to drive to West Virgina to pick it up plus gas and hotels.

That's not to bad. That would make a great donor engine for the other FTD's you've aquired as they all run off of the flywheel so the front crank being odd won't effect you at all unless you had a desire to run a blower. But since you have all the other stuff I wouldn't see that as an issue.

I'm glad I don't have to make that decision. Tough call, but brand new ones don't come around very often....at least they haven't in the 3 months or so I have been looking. I think you could get you money back if needed and it sounds close to home. I'd buy it, but Sam's right, it's a lot of money for something needed.

If it was close to me I'd buy it and worry about the cost (and the angry wife) later.:) A new 16 briggs is not something to pass up, particularly around here.