Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

First freecycle freebie New pic 3/12/06

tec2484

I know it's the wrong color but the price was right

He said it a 68 or 69 wheel horse.

It has a k301 on it that turned by hand with the plug out.

Put jumper cables on it and it rolls over but no spark. but that is as far as I got tonight.

The sheet metel looks ok (been welded at the front corner) A few loose nuts and bolts I see but for free what the heck. I will update as soon as I get a chance to work on it. It's apart.

I don't think it sould look like this

The crank took a good hit from the rod also.

Now if I can find one cheap. I will look on ebay later tonight. I don't see any other damage. It has been apart before, Blue silcone on the oil pan. Any advice for things to look for on a kohler?

Free is always nice. Got a 2002 Craftsman with hydro free last week with a seized motor. I have an engine for it so a great resale oppurtunity to feed the addiction.

Freecycle is a recycling fourm at http://www.freecycle.org/ There is a group for most countys and most mid size citys. you put an add in like Wanted: non-running garden tractor, snowblower ect. Help my wife out! give me something to work on in the garage before my wife pulls her hair out Thanks. The people that gave this one to me also gave me a small vert engine.

6 free tractors to date using freecycle. But mind you........it's a not for profit system. Please dont abuse it. If you receive something for free just to turn it around for money then you are defeating the purpose of the freecycle group and we'll eventually find you, drag you with our simplicities or A/C's through briars and raspberry patches untill you realize it's morally wrong. IMHO!!!!!!!!!! Sean aka Zippo

If you do that be prepared for my multi-million dollar lawsuit for false imprisionment and infringing on my civil rights!! lol Lets all lawyer up folks!!! lol

I have given and recieved from freecycle and have made a great many friends as a result. It comes back on you if the system set in place is for recycling and you are found using the system for profit. I prefer friends over profit, but it's your call. Sean aka Zippo

If the point of freecylce is to keep stuff out of a landfill, what does that have to do with not being allowed to repair and sell the stuff? It sounds like you're assigning a value of worthlessness to everything there.

The second idea besides to keep stuff out of the landfill is to help those who might not be able to afford the products due to lack of funds. I agree with the notion that if you can't follow the rules, you don't need to be in the organization.

Well I just signed up and have placed three adds. Two are for freebies and one is a wanted tractors. We'll see what I get with it. Elon

The lawn tractor I got for free needed work and parts. If someone can't afford to buy a lawn tractor even if cheap probably can't afford to fix one up either. I've recieved 1 lawn tractor free while I've given away 5 rabbits free. I also have some cats to give away, any takers? lol. BTW, who is the freecycle police?

Freecycle helps a lot of people out, my self included. But there are those who still choose to profit from anothers generosity. I guess it's just a matter of moral judgement. I agree that if something needs repair and you have invested time effort and money into something from freecycle that you would not be going against the grain too much if you recovered your expence and time. But i've seen people asking for junk cars and the like that have full intentions of selling for scrap. It's those people who are banned from using the sight because it goes against the purpose of the whole thing. If I were to divey up all that i've received and given away I would be ahead by about a dozen new aquaintances and three good new friends. That's just how I value the system. I have even helped others out with my received goods from freecycle when they were things I had no use for. The idea is a great one. I just wanted those who joined freecycle to have a good understanding of it's purpose and to think twice about taking something you don't need where someone else could truely benefit from it. Just scored a celing mounted 80,000 btu propane furnace for the shop from freecycle yesterday. Just in time for the warmer weather!!!! lol Turned out the guy that had the furnace needed JD111 parts so I gave him a parts JD111. Things like that are what makes freecycle so great. You never know what you'll get OR be able to give to help someone else out.

Sam, try surrounding counties as well. You can join as many as you are willing to travel to. Sean

quote:
Originally posted by lboy1971 BTW, who is the freecycle police?
Interesting notion and question.. From what I read of the rules and such, its the discretion of the moderators of each local Freecycle group as to who gets in and who does not and for what reasons. One group may be run with an iron fisted aproach, while another may be run in a laid back relaxed manner. One set of moderators of one group may indeed look at an applicant in a whole different light than the moderators of another group looking at the same applicant.

As for selling what you have gotten fro free, all you need to do is ask the person who is giving you the item, if they have any objections about you fixing it up and reselling it. If they have no problem with it, then why not? If they do, then just say OK thanks anyway and move on. See simplicity!! Elon

I agree with you Elon. And Sam, you are correct. I am a member of three different counties. Two are laid back and one is run with an iron fist. The iron fisted freecycle group i'm refering to gets little action as a result. You have to have some lenience when dealing with the public as a general rule IMO. lboy, i've been taken advantage of a lot in my 39 years because of my good nature BUT....Rarely by the same person twice. Unless you count my X wife..lol!! As for morals....common sense plays a role. Would you go back to a store that consistantly charges more than their competitors? Or call a service man out who spent 30 minutes on the phone to his wife and charged you for the time spent on the service call, including the 30 minute phone call? I just prefer to treat people and situations as though I was the one on the receiving end. And it's my pleasure to have all of you to converse with on here. I've stepped on toes and broken a rule or two but in the end the hard feelings were smoothed over. And tec, great freecycle find!! And I loved how you worded your freecycle add. I'm single so i'm not as colorful in my requests or I would ask to borrow your reasoning! Sean aka Zippo