Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

What to do with it ?

Recommended Posts

SmilinSam
Got a 18hp Briggs vertical shaft opposes twin cylinder that runs great. Came out of a Murray and has a stepped crankshaft with the two 1/8" woodruff keys in it. One on each step. Been trying to think up a way to put drive pulleys on it for use in Simplicity 5000 and 6000 series types. No ideas yet. Anyone got any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HubbardRA
Sam, I once cut two of the drive and mower pulleys and re-welded them. Used the top part that fit the engine and bottom part that matched the mower. If you have both pulley setups, then this is do-able.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lboy1971
I have a 16HP briggs with the steped shaft also from a Murray and been trying to figure out how to put it into a 6116. I was thinking about making a bushing to fit over the smaller end of the crankshaft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
firefoxz1
Get a bushing for the bottom section, cut a slot in it for the keyway, drill holes in the stack pulley assy for spot welding, slip the assy on the shaft with bushing and spot weld the bushing in. The only thing is you might have to fill in the original slot in the pulley so the key can't fall out of the crank or if it is a full length slot in the crank weld the key in the slot of the bushing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by lboy1971
I have a 16HP briggs with the stepped shaft also from a Murray and been trying to figure out how to put it into a 6116. I was thinking about making a bushing to fit over the smaller end of the crankshaft.
Thought od that too, but that only addresses one of the two problems. The second problem is the 1/8" woodruff key. the Simplicity pulley sets use a 1/4" keyway, and on top of that the key itself is formed into the yubes of the pulley sets. Rods idea adresses that dilema. I could take a junk crank and use it as a jig to line the pulley halves up on while i weld to keep things straight and true. An idea anyhow.. Then theres the problem of pulley sizes being correct...Guess thats 3 problems..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HubbardRA
Sam, the pulleys that came from the tractor are right size. What I was talking about was just adapting them to the engine. I put a 14Hp V-twin Vanguard from an old Hechinger tractor onto a Sears Craftsman to replace the broken Tecumseh, by welding parts of the two pulleys together. The guy I did it for has been using it now for three summers and not had any problems with it. I have also taken my die grinder with carborundum cut-off wheels and widened 1/8 key slots to 1/4 slots. I used one of the larger keys as a template. Do only one side of the slot at a time, so you can measure to keep it straight with the shaft. I have even cut woodruff slots with those small cut-off disks. I use them for everything. Another thing that can be done, if the pulley from the tractor fits the smaller diameter of the stepped crankshaft only, is to space the engine higher on the chassis to make the pulleys line up correctly with the idlers and transmission pulleys. I have lined up several setups by putting spacers under the engine when I mounted it to the chassis. If the pulley goes too far up on the crankshaft, I have cut spacers from old crankshafts and inserted into the pulley tube to space the pulley downward where it was required to sit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×