Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis chalmers please help

BrianS

I own a allis chalmers model b-110 garden tractor without variable speed and need to konow more about belt adjustment. When I put the belt on as loose as I can with the linkage adjuster and I cant shift because that is not loose enough. this is the correct belt and the driveline has not been modified. Thanks in advance for any help thatis given as it is very much appreciated!!!!

Hi, I would check the U shaped belt guard on the front pulley, it needs to be very close to the pulley and if it has been "SPREAD" out will not perform its function of "braking" the belt and keeping it from dragging in the V of the pulley. On the tightner pulley as I remember it there should be a guide that is folded over the pulley. This can be adjusted to "Brake" the belt also, when the clutch is released. Good luck, Al

Also check to see that the clutch idler pulley fully releases. The brake rod on the left side of the tractor can limit the movement of the clutch. When adjusting the clutch you should disconnect the brake rod. After you get the clutch adjusted the brake rod should be adjusted so the brake tightens only after the clutch is fully released. What Al suggested may fix your problem and you may not have to mess with the brake. The belt guides must be adjusted correctly with a new belt as it is stiffer and has better grip than an old belt that is more forgiving of out of adjusted belt guides. Tim

When I took the variable off from my pulling tractor and went to straight pulleys, I did the above suggestions plus added a guide to the top of the driven belt (a 1/4" rod bent to almost touch the driven pulley on top at the spot where the belt leaves the pulley. You want the belt to "get loose" of the drive pulley but stay in the groove of the driven pulley. Mike.