Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
maxtorman1234

Another Briggs 16HP i have it now

maxtorman1234
About 2 years ago, i helped my manufacturing teacher at the school carry a 16HP briggs in. It was a donation, so i figured he'd want to keep it, i finally decided to ask about it. He is thinking about trading me for a 14HP rebuilt kohler. It has a tapered crank for a generator also, but i dont need it. I took the head off today, and it sure looked nice. It's freshly rebuilt, .010 oversize. I just have to finish the 14, then we'll trade, and i will finally have one of these briggs 16's to try out. I'm still thinking about buying the other one, but i'll have to get the money first:) also, its a 1987 model. it sure is in nice shape and has the electrc starter. I'll just have to paint over the orange paint.

maxtorman1234
I got the 16HP engine today, and painted it black. I decided to take the 10hp out of the b110 as it needed a rebuild. So i used the driveshaft coupler and put the 16 into the b110. I got it running, and it runs good, ran into a few problems though. it is really loud, and vibrates alot more at idle than the 10. I need to set the carburator up, and then it should be ok. It does have alot of power, and so far im happy with it.

D-17_Dave
Some low rpm vibration may be due to the idle speed verses the compresion and fireing strke tourqe as compared to the 10HP. If it seems unrealistic then you'll have to pull the engine out and remove the flywheel to gain access to the small capscrew on the under side of the timeing cover to check the timeing of the counter balance weight. As for the noise, it's like going from a 4cyl. to a V-8 so it'll need to have some decent muffler on it. I use a long pipehomemade muffler. Doesn't do that much to quite it down, but it gets the noise above your head so it's not in your ear.

maxtorman1234
It vibrates a lot more than the 10 at idle. I dont think its too bad though. So far the motor has not met my expectations. I cant seem to get the carb adjusted right, it does not run anywhere as good as the 10HP in the big ten i just rebuilt. I guess i'll have to take the carb apart and clean it out. . It runs pretty decent, but every now and then it runs real rich and almost stalls.