Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mini-forklift: Project Completed & Load Tested

Roy

Pictures are of mini-forklift I'm making for my Sovereign. Left side:

Rear view:

Right side:

Partially done fork:

Destroyed workbench top that stopped work on second fork: :(

Will have to repair workbench before I can finish bending the fork and complete the project. Note: It is difficult to bend 1/2" thick material even when red hot. :(

Getting a little green with envey Roy, you seem to have way too much project time on your hands.^ Looking good so far, except for your bench. Looks like the saw dust returned to it's prior state on you. If you can scrounge a couple old solid core doors they make good benches. School districts are a pretty good sorce of them because of damage. Is the lift gonna raise fairly flat or will the tips come up a lot higher? keep up the cool projects.^

Marty, Tips are going to come up higher. e.g. Lift tilts toward front of tractor as it comes up. The 5/8" chip board bench top only lasted 25 or 30 years under some severe abuse. Will be replaced with a piece of 5/8" chip board I have available although the solid door tip is a good one. The 4" Craftsman vice has survived despite the things I do to it. Thanks,

Lookin good Roy. What do you plan on moveing with it? Have something in mind or just a handy atachment for whatever?

Looks like a nice lift you have started there.Good for moving trannys 7 other parts of tractors around.

To all, Plan to use it to move parts, tools, & equipment from the upstairs garage to the basement garage at the opposite end of the house. Will also use it for work around the yard and garden. Plan to make a pallet and/or box to mount on the forks so it will be more useful. Construction is a little light for extremely heavy loads but should do 200 pounds or so without problem. If necessary I can beef it up when the time comes. I'll load test it after completion. The forks are made from the bottom leaf(s) of a 90 something Toyota pickup. I used the top eye leafs to beef up the springs on the truck I drive so it has two main leafs on each side. Sits level, not tail heavy like most Toyota PU's and Forerunners. Handy for heavy loads. Oh, some of the design is pirated (borrowed) from Rokon (Dan), Rod Hubbard, and the Simplicity Carry All courtesy of Elon. :D Thanks,

Roy, The top of my workbench is made of 2x6 lumber. Haven't broken it yet. Did break one 4-inch vice though. Guess something has to break when you abuse things like I do. LOL

Now operational. Only lacks paint and some small finishing touches. Repaired workbench top allowed work to continue.

Side view with forks down.

Rear view with forks down.

Side view with forks up.

Rear view with forks up.

Works good. ^ Will pick up my fat body (230 lbs.) and the mower deck with no strain. May take longer to paint than it did to build since I am not a painter. :( I'm open for suggestions on the color to use. Thinking of either Simplicity orange or black. Maybe all orange except for black forks? Thanks,

Slide bar and bottom rest will get a lot of abuse from moving the forks as well as the forks them selves. Thought about powdercoating? I think all of it would look good painted with the silver like your wheels. May also appear nicer longer if you painted close to the natural color of the metals. Silver for the galvenized pipe and black for the rest. Just my view on it. IF i were going to paint anything simp orange it would be those areas less subjected to scratches. Sean

Ray looks awesome ;)Howbout getting rid of the tee and the coupler and drilling holes with cotter pins or snap clips ,sure would clean up the look Great idea you have there .Great job A+:D:D:D

Roy, Have you thought about making some way to swing the forks up and latch them vertically, so that they will not be sticking out so far when not in use? That would allow you to keep it on, when using the tractor for other purposes.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Roy, Have you thought about making some way to swing the forks up and latch them vertically, so that they will not be sticking out so far when not in use? That would allow you to keep it on, when using the tractor for other purposes.
Boy Rod, we think a like:D I have most of mine made up in pieces in my service truck. I started it about 3 months ago, but got side tracked.:o) I am using 3 inch channel for the up rights and forks, with some triangle pieces at the bottom of the up rights. Drill some holes in the angle pieces and the forks, and two grade 8 1/2 bolts and your done. Elon

Zippo, good thinking. ^ Hadn't thought about scratches from use. May make it black per your suggestion for that reason. The pipe is galvanized. May not paint it. A powder coater is on my wish list. Gee Paul, don't you like my pipe fitting fork stops? [:0][:0] Those are temporary. Plan to use pipe caps for a neater look. Rod, good idea. ^. Forks already have holes in them (not visible in pictures). Will look into. Elon, if you and Rod are starting to think alike you are in trouble. :D Plan to get two set screw collars to hold the fork support pipe in place along with the aforementioned pipe caps. Want to keep the design so it can be disassembled for future modifications rather than welding the pipe in place. The good news is that it looks like my welds are going to hold. :)

Nice work Roy! I'm sure you will make some adjustments as you use it, but it is well thought and well done. I love the idea of using the spring leafs for forks, perfect shape and size. Rod's idea of swinging them up out of the way when not in use is also a great one.

Come out looking good Roy. Might try using rust kill on the parts that will get abuse and wear. Haven't tried it but thinking it may not wear off like paint, least not as quick. I vote to paint it black.

I vote to paint it orange or silver. I have enough scars on my shins from running into things like those forks that I have painted black. Get in a hurry, don't notice them in black, and then "ouch". Need a color that makes them very visible for shin safety at a minimum. I know that trailer hitches and trailer tongues are especially evil in very dim lighting.

Looks good. Have you had a chance to try it out and lift anything? Would like to see a picture of it with a load on the forks. I'd think you might need to consider some front wheel weights or making a weight rack for the front so you can steer and not worry about it lifting the front wheels if you start out too fast.

Nice work! Thats a great idea!I would try to shine up the forks with a wire wheel or a sander and paint the rest.

Finished Project looks Great.You will find all kinds of uses for your forks.Cant wait to see it in action.I would like a powder coater also in future.