Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16hp valve adjustment

TripleDeuce50

I got a 7116 single cylinder 16hp. Is the valves in the these motors adjustable? any one done one?

Valves and tappets are not adjustable. Valve stem gap, between stem and tappet, is done when the valves are lapped in . You take even light cut off the stem, about .006-.008" cold measurement on the intake valve and about .009-.011 on exhaust.

quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234
Now, on kohler engines they are adjustable. :D
They so rarely need adjusting, why fix it if it ain't broke?[:0]:o) Man Graham, we gotta get you a 16 Brigs so you can see first hand how us other half live so trouble free. :D

"i have one on the way, freshly rebuilt 10 oversize " Gee Dave, wonder if he'll figure out what the chrome handle is for on the Kohlers after he runs the 16hp Briggs for a while?}:)}:)

THe only problem i have with kohlers is setting the timing, lots of engines i have a heck of a time setting the points right. WHen theyre finally set, the engies run great. This briggs has no points, so I expect nothing but trouble free performance for years. well see how it runs later today maybe.