Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broadmoor engine removal

Pitabu

I'd like to take the 8hp B&S engine out of my 1964 Broadmoor and send it off to the shop for general cleanup and maintenance. Other than the 4 bolts holding the engine to the tractor, how do I remove it? Thanks! Sean

Disconnect the choke and throttle cables and if is elect start the wire to the starter will need to be disconnected and maybe a ground cable. of course the drive belt needs to come off and you should be good to go unless I over looked something. Good luck.

The pulleys do not need to be removed from the engine. they will clear the hole. Two of the bolts that hold the engine down, have belt guides under the frame. Be sure to remember witch one goes were. Besides that and what was mentioned above, you will find that it is an easy task. I had 5 or 6 Broadmoors at one time or another. Nice little machines. Easy to work on, but pretty strong. Elon

After you take the engine out check the pivot point;),I had two tractors that had this pivot point seized up. My 1971 Simplicity 728 was the last I had to free up this pivot point.The tractor is all back together again. I had to weld the mower deck and then need to buy some new bearings for the spindles. They are very neat to drive with the rear pivot point.;)

Karl [url]www.simplicityva[/url][

Having two of these "articulating" framed tractors is an absolute joy. A Serf and a Broadmoor. And as Elon mentioned.....they may be small, but they'll work with the best of em. Just may take them a little longer. Nice thing about the pivoting frames is how the tractor seems to ease over imperfections where a rigid framed tractor bounces you around a bit more. I dont know if any one else has had the joy of experiencing a pivoting frame on a slope but it's a great way to jump start your heart, pass gas and nearly empty your bladder all at the same time!! Only to me, it's a GREAT warning device and if you are quick enough you can correct before you're trimming low branches with the deck! Sean aka Zippo

8hp out of a 64? Is your Broadmoor a re-power? Only 6 and 7 HP came in the 64's. I know......why didnt i mention this in my previous post....well, I saw Broadmoor and my eyes glazed over. Don't get too many Broadmoor's in here in comparison to all those other big beefy framed tractors every one else is always talking about. [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/Simp06.jpg[/img] Hope you have good luck with your 64's engine. Zippo

My Broadmoor went to the engine shop to get a make over as well. I love these old Broadmoor's. I finally found one with the original 6HP in it and a frame that pivots! My 707 doesn't pivot and I'm not even gonna try and get it unstuck. I found it sitting along side a barn and it's hard telling how long it was out there. I will never forget the first time i was on a Broadmoor, my aunt's 738. I thought something was wrong with the transmission. I freaked out and got off it. I was in Junior high then and didn't that they were supposed to pivot in the middle. After that I though it was the coolest thing ever. I would purposly go over rough terrain just so it would pivot. david