Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
LanceR

L10 Loader Question

LanceR
My sons and I just finished assembly of an L10 on a B110. It is all original (one way rams, and bucket latch) except for new hoses and lots of primer and paint. All went together well and with very few leaks. It raises and lowers but seems to be limited in lifting capacity to less than 100 lbs and lowers VERY fast. With 165 lbs in the bucket it lowers very slowly when called to raise. It holds very well when the engine is stopped and the bucket is raised. I am leaning towards air in the system or possibly a pump by-pass adjustment, but not sure at this time. Anybody got any suggestions on a good place to start??? BTW...We will be posting pictures as soon as we get our decals along with our B10. Also, does anybody have a picture of the supports necessary to mount the AC generator to the rear (drive pulleys, etc). Thanks in advance, Lance R.

D-17_Dave
There are some obvious questions about what you describe and a few different possible problems. I can't remeber on that model if the relief valve is in the pump or the spool valve but if you dissasebled the relief valve and chaged the setting then reseting the relief at the proper pressure should cure your problem. Next if you dissasebled the pump and didn't put EVERYTHING back in exactly the same spot you may have something in the pump wrong. Even reversing the gears could missaline certain wear marks and cause internal leakage inside the pump rendering it inoperable. Without the proper flow meter's and pressure gauges in the system and knowing just exactly what all you did to it we can only guese at what your problem may be. Don't let this overwhelm you. There is a step by step diagnostic method to go through to find out what your problem is. Without the proper gauges and such, find out a few things and report back. 1-does engine rpm 's have any diff. in the time it takes to raise an empty bucket? Time it at about half throttle, and again at full throttle. What are the results? 2-Again With a few pounds added in the bucket, maybe 25#'s, does this change between half throttle and full throttle? 3-last, at between idle and half throttle, does the engine load up any when you raise the lift all the way up to full height and reach the limit of the cylinder's?

LanceR
Thanks for the reply. We did not disassemble the pump or the valve. Took a chance and was quite frankly surprized it actually lifted at all! I will start testing you described tomorrow and get back with you. Thanks again, lance r

LanceR
Dave, Update: This morning it would only raise about 3 feet at mid throttle. Decided to open what I thought would be the bypass port on the side of the pump (hoping for a pressure adjustment). Found what we believe to be the problem. :( The spring came out in three pieces. If this is indeed the bypass control, this explains what we think is the root issue. Any ideas on a replacement? We are headed to Northern Tool to look around but realize the importance of the safety aspects of getting the correct replacement. Lance R

LanceR
Dave, Afternoon Update: Found a spring at the local ACE hardware. It was the approximate diameter and slightly less compressability (error on safe side). Cut it down to the approximate length. Bucket now takes about 3 to 4 seconds at high throttle and 6 seconds at mid throttle from full lower to full raise. It will now pick up 200 lbs tops, and handles 175 lbs easily. Now on to try and locate an exact replacement spring. BTW, pump is marked "CESSNA". Anyone know if this is the original or a replacement? Still looking for any suggestions. Man a working bucket is nice, even if at a reduced capacity!!!! Lance R

Rob-B
My L-112 loader had a cessna pump on it. Just didn't like though. I bought one from Northern tool and love it. Don't remember much about it except it was the only one they offered in the bolt patteren need to put on the L-112. The cost of new pump was about $90.00 to $100.00. Rob

D-17_Dave
Lance, glad you found the problem. I've been busy today so I'm just now checking in on your progress. To get an exsact pressure control you'll need to fashion your own pressure gauge. Going back to NT you can get a cheap pressure gauge made for hydraulics and a few fittings to "T" into the pressure line from the pump to the valve. I also can say you can get another spring and simply not cut as much off of it, or cut off enough to acheive the correct pressure, or add some thin shims like washers or simular back into the spring to gain back some presure if you trim too much. When checking the pressure, with the gauge tee'd into the pressure line start the engine and just above idle pull the lift lever and you'll see the pressure increase. This will reflect the pressure it takes to lift the bucket only. You will not get the actual relief setting untill the cylinders reach full stroke and stop. BE CAREFULL. This is where you'll mess something up easy. You will go from a loaded pressure reading to instantly up to the relief setting so fast you can't react so when you do reach max cyl. extention release the lever. Now slowly pull the lever till the pressure increases to either the max. desired reading or the relief valve kicks in limiting the increase of pressure. In other words the relief valve will kick in or you'll need to stop pulling the lever so you don't over pressurize the pump. If you reach critical pressure like around over 2000 psi you could bust the pump. Your gaol here is to shorten the spring till it allows the relief valve to limit the pressure to the desired max. I think if I recall the pressure on these is 1500psi. +/-150 psi. Operateing this old style pump at way more than recomended pressures will soon kill the pump and potentially hurt you or someone close by. So I'd recomend staying close to the factory recomendations. Hope this helps out.

LanceR
Thanks Dave for all your help and to Bob for the info on the Cessna. Dave, it appears you and I are definately on the same page with the safety aspects of this effort. Your insight will prove to be most valuable as I 'right size' this spring/washers etc. I made another trip to ACE today and purchased all four of the springs of this type and told the manager to be sure and restock! I will keep you posted. Best wishes, and thanks again, Lance R.