Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter/Generator Voltage Regulator Location

B.Ikard

Gents, I am in the process of putting in a 16hp Briggs w/starter generator where a Kohler was. The tractor is a 78 build 7012 hydrostatic. I mantain a large selection of Simplicity and Allis photos and don't seem to have any showing the older Delco style voltage regulator location in a 7000 series w/hydro drive. There does not seem to be much room for it in the dash tower, and there is a plate tack welded with threads for the hydro guide in the traditional regulator location. This plate will short out the terminal under the regulator.... I had thought about relocating the starter solenoid to the engine, and putting the regulator behind the steering shaft but I figured somebody might have a pic or offer a suggestion. I really don't want to put the regulator on the engine and want to stay as close to the factory design as possible. Any suggestions or pictures would be appreciated, Brent

If you look at the dash tower on the inside on the side where the hydro lever is you will see the accesory power distribution juntion board . Its held on by two bolts. Under that down near the hydro lever safety switch is a third bolt hole. These three holes are used to mount the regulator. You use spacers about an inch long to space the regulator away from the dash tower. Pieces of pipe that a 1/4" bolt will fit in will do for the spacers.

Brent, Both my 716H and 713S have S-G units. I'll try to remember to check on the location of those units tomorrow.

Sam is correct. That is where the regulator on my 7013S is located. Barely clears the amp meter terminals and a poor location in my opinion (cannot reach to work on without battery removal) but that is where the factory put it. I recall seeing some model that had the V-R mounted on vertical plate between the battery/gas tank and the engine above the S-G drive belt but don't remember any more. I like that location better since it can be reached with the battery in place and is not so subject to battery corrosion.

Here's a pic of the dash tower in later model sovereigns showing the regulator mounting position as others have mentioned (pic from thedaddycat): [img]/club2/attach/phandad/SovOldDash.jpg[/img] A pic of my GTH-L dash tower: [img]/club2/attach/phandad/SovGTHLDash_0026.jpg[/img] No way a regulator would fit in the dash tower with the newer switches/starter relay. So my solution was to mount it under the gas tank support next to the battery: [img]/club2/attach/phandad/Rebuild_0002.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/phandad/Rebuild_0005.jpg[/img]

Thanks all for the photos-will look close at Joe's under tank idea. I'm not too familiar with this system but it seems simple. I have a new aftermarket regulator (USA made thru Sten's) that replaces the briggs unit. One question I have is the "ARMATURE" terminal located on the underside of the regulator? I don't have a real clear diagram that shows this connection and don't want to let the smoke out of the wires.

quote:
Originally posted by B.Ikard
Thanks all for the photos-will look close at Joe's under tank idea. I'm not too familiar with this system but it seems simple. I have a new aftermarket regulator (USA made thru Sten's) that replaces the briggs unit. One question I have is the "ARMATURE" terminal located on the underside of the regulator? I don't have a real clear diagram that shows this connection and don't want to let the smoke out of the wires.
There arebasically 2 predominate regulator configurations Simplicity used in their different tractors over the years. There is a square one that does have a A(Armature) tab underneath. Those were primarily used on the older Broadmoors. T Also these have out the side the B(battery), L(Load), and F (field) tabs. Then there is the recatangular regualtor which has just 3 tabs out the side , the B(battery), G (generator), and F (field) tabs. Be careful because the two regualtors wire up different. I know people who have fried their entire wiring harness and their new regualtor not knowing what they were doing. On the rectangular regulator, the G Tab gets hooked up to the A terminal on the Starter/Generator. B tab gets hooked up to the power side of the starter solenoid. There should be a fuse in this line, as well as your amp gauge if you have one. Power to your keyswitch also comes off this B tab on the regualtor and connects to the b terminal on the keyswitch. The F tab gets hooked up to the F terminal on the Starter/generator. [img]http://a3.cpimg.com/image/DB/9B/8901083-5e9b-01930200-.jpg[/img] On the square regualtor, the A tab gets hooked up to the A terminal on the Starter/Generator. The B tab gets hooked up to the power side of the starter solenoid. There should be a fuse in this line, as well as your amp gauge if you have one. The L tab supplies your keyswitch with power and connects to the b terminal on the keyswitch. The F tab gets hooked up to the F terminal on the Starter/generator. [img]http://a6.cpimg.com/image/80/E3/56400256-7212-01930200-.jpg[/img]

Sam, That second diagram is just what I needed-looks like I do have the older square regulator. Thanks, Brent

On the top diagram I see they have the G ( ground) tab on the switch going to the points for the kill wire. I generally have always hooked to the M (mag)tab like the lower diagram would indicate. The G terminal on the ignition switch usually never gets connected to anything from what I see. Ive used these two diagrams to wire up tractors a number of times now.

Brent, according to the Briggs manual, the regulator will not function in the position shown under the battery. Never tried it, so I can't speak from experience. Just going by the manual.

Sam, the ignition switch is internally grounded. On a metal dash, you do not need the "G" teriminal. It is for a ground wire to be run from the frame if your switch is mounted in a plastic dash. Pat

Pat, So far the regulator has worked fine under the gas tank. Haven't had a problem with batttery under/overcharge, etc. BUT the regulator is mounted in the "alternate" position shown in your manual - it's under the gas tank, but not "upside down". Brent, Here's a pic of what Roy remembered: [img]/club2/attach/phandad/Voltage_Regulator_0001.jpg[/img] My B-110 (and probably the equivalent Simplicity FDT) has the vertical plate where the regulator is attached. IMO it's the best location, but the vertical plate is no longer used. The location I chose isn't accessible, but it was the best I came up with. I didn't want to mount the regulator on the vibrating engine since the regulator is mechanical. And under the tractor frame didn't seem like a good choice - not to mention it would have been mounted "upside down" and according to Pat's info probably wouldn't have worked. Let us know if you find a better location.

In the post by PhanDad you can see the plate mounted to the cylinder head that the S-G tensioner attaches to. On B/S that is currently in my 716H, the voltage regulator is mounted to the hole that the gound is connected to in the picture and the other empty hole. It sits on top of the head.

Gents, After much thought I attached the regulator to the top of the engine cooling shroud with sheet metal screws. I plan on installing rivnuts when I have more time. Got everything wired up today and it works great-that Briggs "thumps" so much sweeter than the 14hp Kohler. After I replace the bearings and pins for the balance gears (I built the engine without them) the Kohler will be going in my engine-less 914 Allis. Thanks for all the help, Brent

Bill, I misunderstood and thought you had the regulator upside down, mounted to the gas tank saddle. I now see that it's mounted on the tunnel. I made the assumption from your first photo that you had the regulator sitting there to mark the mounting hole location. No reason it shouldn't work but I would be concerned with fuel spills or leaks. Pat