Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

front axel identification

billy7016

ok I am new here so please forgive me in advance if I misrepresent my query or have posted this in the wrong place. I have a Simplicity model 6211 (blown Engine) That is my next project. My question is this.The front axel is a rather large cast iron front axel in white.The original axel is still in place and still mounts with deck.The cast axel is mounted in front and above it with the steel plate extension mounting the front part.Absolutely clean and hood is still at end of frame etc.It looks to me like a factory type upgrade?Has ag tires. I have searched and searched for a single pic that might reveal a sister setup to this but have found nothing. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.I will be glad to post a pic of the axel in the tractor if need be.Thanks in advance and please forgive my naivety.

Hi how are you .welcome here your in the right place.if this place dont have it your not going to find it

Does this pic from the parts manual from the 6211 help any? I think only memebers can post pics, so I will give the standard plug around here to join up for $10 :>

Ok great and thanx for the replies. The pic you posted is my tractor in it's original form yes. However I have a very different and heavy front end in front of the original axel. I will see about 10 dollars for this site (it rocks) soon. As I am disabled and have my extra money this mo. tied up in a chipper att. for the 7016. thanx for the support people!

from the looks someone has added another axel to it Sorry but non paying members are not allowed to post pictures or links to pictures

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
from the looks someone has added another axel to it Sorry but non paying members are not allowed to post pictures or links to pictures
Sorry about the links I have removed them.

Ok sorry Folks and Admins I posted a link and did not even think about it when doing it.(I knew I would blow it somehow!)I have removed them.Again sorry. My add on axle seems a perfect fit.Is this common? I used the tractor briefly for one summer and it steered nicely.Better than my 7016 I must say.The axle is very heavy duty.I got the tractor for free as I did the 7016 also. the 6211 came with moldboard plow,potato tool,roto tiller ,lawn deck,sickle mower,front bucket,and disc. Ag tires The 7016 came with roto tiller, front blade, trencher, and lawn deck. with turf tires The 6211 seems so heavy duty with the add on axle I was thinking "front loader" with engine upgrade since the 11 hp is down. perhaps an 18 hp refit. Am I asking to much for this little tractor? Will this larger front axle with wider wheel base give me added strength and stability needed for an att. like a loader? ok here are the pics of the axle and the last is the free 7016 I have had for about two months.cleaned her up and went through the carb and she purrs.The trailer is a freebee I obtained last week and just needed tires it is a coleman and has the little pop top also. [img]/club2/attach/billy7016/my7016.JPG&[/img]

Welcome Billy, I don't have the answer to your questions but it sure sounds like you have a pretty nice set up. You sure well equiped. We all look forward to you being able to join and post some pictures of your equipment.

[img]/club2/attach/billy7016/6211axle.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/billy7016/6211axle1.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/billy7016/my7016.JPG[/img] maybe this will help some

Looks like someone had an extra axle and A lot of spare time to kill. I would like to see a picture of the whole tractor to see how it looks.

Looks like someone wantted a wider front stance. Appears to be a nice job of adding on other parts.

ok folks I will go out and take a couple more pics of the whole thing.The tractor is clean it is not a hack job at all wich is why I was wondering if it was a common upgrade? Seems to be dropping a jaw or two here though So I will get the pics of whole tractor for you.Thanks John for the help with the pics.I must learn to do that.You may have to fix these next ones as well :).Thanx guys.

Ok took a few more pics for you.She's pretty rough.But definately a good project.the engine is only out less than a week and tractor will get a total repower and frame up restore.Perhaps these will help with the identity of the mystery axle? [img]/club2/attach/billy7016/T1.JPG&[/img] [img]/club2/attach/billy7016/T2.JPG&[/img]

My mistake.....Red Wheels gives it away.... Its a Front end and Wheel off a old Bolens Garden Tractor

Aaaaaaaaha! Well good to know what it is.Thankyou so much. I am new to these tractors and would have never known without all your help. Next question.Do you think I could run a loader off of this tractor.My plan is to get slightly taller rear tires, Throw hydraulics on and make it a light duty loader. I will keep the 7016 original and use it for my gardening as I already do and collect as much stuff for it as I can.But with the heavier axle and some hydraulics what do you think about a light loader idea with the 6211? I do not want to tear this thing up and would be just fine with a re-power and making it more of a puller for the heavier apps around the farm if that was the case.I move a ton of horse manure/alfalfa/wood pellets/etc. As usual I look foward to all your wisdom!

I only see one problem with that setup. When you turn a sharp turn, the outside wheel is going to turn sharper than the inside wheel. This is going to make then fight each other. To make a smooth turn the inside wheel should turn sharper because it is traveling on a smaller radius circle. In other words, the axle is designed to be turned around with the tie rod behind the axle instead of in front. This may not be much of a problem on a lawn mower, but could cause significant steering problems with the weight of a loader.

My opinion, and you can take it for what its worth, is that the 400, 5000, and 6000 series frames are too light to handle a loader. Something like your 7000 series with a stouter frame would be more ideal.

Ok then. This is what I was hoping for.Two very real possible obsticles. I was worried the frame may be to light as well.The steering problem I was unaware of and after much thinking still do not understand.It does steer fine the way it is (without a load).So as long as I was going to use it as a puller I guess it would be ok the way it is.I will continue to use the 7016 as my power imlpement tractor and think possible loader for it.Not that it is that important we are talking mostly manure and something a johnny could do.My newly found disability has landed me with to much time on my hands .