Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tandem disc harrow

lndscpr

saw a tandem disc harrow in a field today in good shape but not used in a while. looked kind of like this but simplicity orange. http://www.simpletractors.com/images/allied_atch/disc.jpg it had a mold board plow and cultivator keeping it company. I am most interested in the disc harrow. I saw an old farmer ripping up lawns and if i remember ccorrectly about 4 passes with the harrow and he was ready to replant the lawn. Has anyone done this with a disc harrow before. I am thinking it would be a lot of fun to tear up my lawn with one of these things. I am trying to contact the property owner about these items now. John

John, the one you linked to is for a powermax. I have one just like it. They work well in sandy dry dirt but they don't have near the weight to do much in heavy clay like I have here. But they are a lot of fun and do a good job in lighter soil.

I had a camera with me and i am kicking myself now for not taking pictures. If i go back i will for sure. very sandy soil here under about 4-6 inches of loam. small rocks mixed in. i imagine this would have a hard time breaking the sod which is old and thick. i will have to take a closer look at the hitch of i get a chance at it but other than the hitch that is what i saw. Is the tandem disc harrow too heavy for a 7114????? i have one unassmbled brinkly disc in the shed(saving this one) but it is no where near as impressive as the tandem.

Looks to be the same 11 in dia. disc that are on the single gang ones like I have. Ain't gonna rip much up with it. That farmer was most likely using a real disc with about 18 inch discs or bigger and had a lot of wt compared to these garden tractor jobs. Northern tool sells a couple for ATV's with I believe 15 or 16 inch discs and they wiegh over 300 lbs, add some wt to that and you'll have something that can do some work. If the clods aren't too hard these Garden tractors ones can break up plowed ground. This is imo from using mine around here with 250lbs on it, which tore the hitch off.

I got this one with a tractor I bought several years ago.I believe it's Bolens.Been trying to sell it.Let me know...

John, I'd say that if your plowed the soil first that since you have sandy soil it would probably work fairly well. As for handling it with a 7114, I'd say you won't be able to raise a tandem. Pulling it would require a good set of tires and a lot of weight. But that also would deend on how deep you go with the disc as to how much dirt your moveing and the weight you put onto the disc.

The tiller was the original plan before i saw this sitting in the filed. I have to replace the bearings ion it first and i dont know when that is going to happen. MPH,i think you are right about the size of the discs. I guess i will try to find out what the guy has for simplicity anyway. you never kno wht he has tucked away.

Back in the day when I was on the farm we'ed plow first and then disc to chop up the dirt. Worked in the old days.

Dave, The 7114 shouldn't have any trouble pulling the tandem unless you're going in all the way to the hubs. I have used a tandem brinly w/2 weight blocks behind a Homesteader8. They pull easy because they basically roll along the ground and don't dig in much.

well i have not heard back from the owners so i guess i wont be acquiring these. Just as well because i dont have the space. I figure i can go back to the original plan of reparing the tiller and tilling up the lawn. We are only talking about a 1/2 acre of lawn. I don't think i will get to this until the fall or next spring anyway. I am dong retaining walls this spring and painting the house this summer.