Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Welch Cap for the Carburator

jorris942

I have a '72 3415H and I noticed that the previous owner used a golf ball wired to the back of the carburator to stop the air flow. As the new owner I removed the golf ball that was wire tied to the carb and ordered a part from Briggs and Stratton called a "Welch Cap". I got the cap and when I tried to install it I noticed that it is very lose fitting. Is their suppose to be something else used to hold it on? Any help or pictures to show me what it should look like would be great. Basically its the back of the carb that faces towards the back of the mower.

The plug you purchased has to be swedged in place and the golf ball you removed might be the tool you need. The carb has to come off and venturi turned to vertical position. You then lay the plug on the hole, center the golf ball on the crown of the plug and give the ball a smart whack with a hammer and that will flatten the plug and should lock it in the groove. Some times due the age of the carb and how many times the pluf has been replaced you might have finish things off by using an an epoxy such as JB weld to anchor it in place.

BLT I can't believe that I was able to get an answer from someone so quickly. I have been monitoring this forum for quite some time now and I really like the people (like yourself) who take the time to answer the questions that we ask. It's guys like you that make rebuilding these tractors fun and worthwhile! Thanks for the advice! Jorris

Form a Gasket is what I used on mine,never had any luck with JB.I'll have to remember that golf ball trick......

I just whack it with a small hammer enough to snug it in place. Most of the time I carefully Peen the edges of the carb body with a small punch to just lightly fold the edge over the outside rim of the plug at about 6 points around the circumfrance. You may or may not want to do that because you do risk cracking or breaking the carb body if its not done right and with care. I finish up with running a small bead of silicone around the very edge where the plug meets the carb body.

Briggs recommends clear nail polish to seal the plug. After it's been swedged in place, they recommend staking the flange around the plug in three different places. Pat

Briggs also assumes that the carb body is relatively new, not old and crumbly when they recommend staking the plug. Usually, a ball pien hammer will do the trick, when struck by another hammer. I'll remember that golf ball trick, though!

If the golf ball closes the hole just epoxy it in and paint it. If anyone says something about it, make up some fancy name for it and make them feel like they should know what it is:D Of course if it were to be fired out during a backfire... might not feel good on the shin.....:)

Having a couple of Briggs that refused to hold onto their welch plugs, regardless of installation techniques, I measured the inside diameter and went to NAPA and got an expansion plug, used in water jacket holes on automotive blocks. This isn;t the drive in type, but has a rubber contained betweeen two steel plates and you just drive it in, and then tighten a bolt that draws the two plates togeter, expanding the rubber to seal off the opening. Oldest one has been holding for four years now.