Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How much damage/ how to tell?

GWGAllisfan

GWGAllisfan
I put the hood on my Allis and the positive battery cable was touching the underside of the hood. The only damage I can see is a melted insulation on the cable, and the wire that runs from the engine to the frame by the regulator has the insulation melted. I assume this is an egine ground? Once the hood was removed it starts fine, but how can I tell if the S/G was damaged? New roll of electrical tap an possible a terminal insulator will be on the lunch shopping list tomorrow.

Does it start ok without the hood on? Likely, damage is minimal, and nothing to worry about. You didn't leave it on long enough to be able to smell burnt insulation coming from the S/G did you?

If you didn't try to start it under the conditions of the short, then there should be no damage to anything else besides the neg. cable. I'd recheck the connector at the positive side of the batt. again, and replace the neg. cable. If it burnt the cable enough to melt the insulation, then it may not be ruined, but it'll never be as good of a conductor of electrical current again.

When you replace the cable, pick up a couple battery terminal cover and you won`t have any more problems.

If you end up with an insulator pinched in between the connector and the hood watch it for wear. Do to vibration. If it wears unnoticed and gets parked while shorted, it could start a very nice fire. I think I'd sooner look at putting in the proper battery. As mentioned above, also carefuly check all wiring. Cooked conductor, or insulation, can cause another short or high resistance ground just as hazardous.