Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Tragu

mower deck belt

Tragu
Hi I have a serf 525 and the other day while I was mowing the pulley that is in the front of the tractor that the belt goes around before it goes to the pulley comming off the bottom of the engine there are two pulleys in the front and one of them sheared right off at the bearrings. I have never seen this happen was this just a defect or was the belt too tight as I have just installed anew one or could the belt have been unallined if this is so what is the proper way for allignment. a while before this happened the mower was having trouble with grass that has never given it trouble. Also sthe belt tightness seems okay as if I disengage the belt it sometimes comes offbut not usually. But maybe the belt is too tight as when the disengagement is applyed the belt completly disengages either way so maybe just loosenint the disengagement a little will help. Sorry this note is a little disorganized thanx for any help Doug

JeffNemes
It can happen from wear over the years. I've seen the pulley come off onto the shaft or bolt and people still use them not realizing anything is wrong until the mower stops all together when the now "bearingless" pulley either gets too wobbly or the belt finally falls off - scary.