Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rough running mont.ward

ramtdodge

hey guys just got this old mont. ward runnin barly, it cranks somwhat well but about half throtle to full it runs rough spittin and poppin through the exhaust. i have rebuilt and adjusted and reajusted the carb again and again. it has the 16 hp ci briggs on it. you guys have any suggestions. ( this is a lot different than my allis 712 with the kohler

Ignition. Check the points and the plug. Try a new plug. Make sure someone hasn't put a magnetron coil on an older flywheel. That is what mine did when someone did that.

You haven't any loose bolts or the blind gasket not in place by chance? The blind gasket is between the baffle and block. Also check your fuel tank cap to make sure it is vented.

i replaced the blind gasket and checked all bolts havent checked fuel cap yet though. The fact that it was converted to electronic igntion shouldnt matter should it?? but it does have a champion plug in it!!! could this be the problem?? thanks for the help so far guys

The problem is that its a briggs, i only use champion plugs and havent had a problem yet, but i would try a new one if you havent already.

I don`t see how being a Briggs is the problem. If it had points and has been switched to a magnetron coil, it will have to have the flywheel repolarized. If it has a electronic trigger instead of the points and the regular magneto it will run with out problems.

ok guys here is i am on the tractor, i put another new plug in just to try , put in a bosch doesnt spit and pop back as bad but still alittle , when it does this now it spits out black smoke just as if it where flooding

hey was just reading where a member purchased an electronic trigger for his bs 16, Do you guys think that my problem may be where the previous owner replaced the old igntion coil with the electronic one and that i should go back with the old style coil and elctronic trigger??????

If it had points and has been switched to a magnetron coil, it will have to have the flywheel repolarized. If you put an electronic trigger on instead of the points and the regular magneto (Briggs part number 298968) it will run with out problems. If your engine date code is earlier than 81080100 you magneto part number is suppose to be 298968.

ok guys thanks for all the help i changed everything back over to the oem and it ran fine for a while wife was out in the back trying out the plows and it all of sudden backfired and will not even attmept to crank now