Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler help

doogie_ac61358

Call me a traitor if you would like, but the price was right and I just had to find out what the big deal was. I bought a John Deere (oh no, here comes the censor bug) 314, it obviously has a 14 horse kohler and it wont start for me. It has spark, has fuel, I think the fuel is getting to the carb. But I am wondering if it is turning over too easy. Compression test to follow this weekend. Any other ideas from the peanut gallery?

The Kohlers have a compression release (during starting the exhaust valve opens slightly). So you can't do a standard compression test. Check the head bolts quick and see if they are at least tight.

Hi, If it spins over with practically no resistance, I would not be suprised if you have a disconnected connecting rod. Compression will be zero. Have seen it often. Normal cure a bore job and a crank grind, some new parts and onward. Good luck, Al Eden

Does it have a hole in the block? I too acquired a JD with a Kohler.(JD 212) I should have parted it out. But as it was given to me, I fixed it up. I might put my loader on it. I have tiller and snowblower for it also.

Like Al said it may have a broke rod. Take out the spark plug and turn it over to see if the piston go up and down, if not it broke. Condencer could be bad also. Bad plug, seam that been happening a lot lately. Good luck.

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
I don't know. A JD and a Kohler all together. :(:( Good luck,
Now now Roy............... Kohlers are the best part of a Junk Deere

Al, OK, but I am not enthralled with it. Like to miss a lot when cold and at low rpm's. Seems to me like they could do a better job at making them run on both cylinders all the time. Other than that, it runs fine. Thanks for asking,

try taking the aircleaner off and put a lil gas in a spray bottle and crank the engine over and spray some gas into the carb, see if itll run. if it does, then you arent gettin fuel to carb, or bad flow inside it. carb rebuild and or fuel pump rebuild. ive rebuilt both before for a green thing,..didnt have a fuel filter on it.

• 4 weeks later...
my apologies for not replying earlier, had trouble with the internet for a while and had some family emergencies come up. Went to test the compression, the head bolts were all tight, just for kicks I decided to follow the advice and watch the piston. Guess what, no movement, will tear into it this summer, when I wont be working on the house, and see whats what. Al, just another thought on broken connecting rods: sprung crank. A friend of mine had a box store brand and kept blowing (literally) connecting rods inside the crankcase. Replaced the crankshaft from one I had lying around and away he went. Used it for 2 years then sold it. I checked the crank with a pair of calipers and found it way off, just don't remember how much.

parts wouldnt break if they would have used the right metals/grain structure at the time. example..forged, not cast. broken parts just means a forced upgrade.

quote:
parts wouldnt break if they would have used the right metals/grain structure at the time.
...or people remembered to check the oil.....