Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sask

6116 transmission and reliability

arnoldir
Hello, I'm the 3rd owner of an 81 6216 and the last guy never used the clutch because the belt kept falling off (wrong belt) he just threw the shifter into gear at low revs. Now with the right belt it shifts fine and has plenty of grunt in 1st to grade hard soil using the snow plow, and the manual say's it goes 6.9 mph in 3rd. The limited slip does appear to work as both tires spin when the blade gets dug in. The only advantage I'd see over a hydro is that the driven pully on the trans is huge, and if you put a much smaller one on it you could go 20 mph. if that's your kind of fun. For comparison I only paid $200 for mine on Ebay with just the mower deck in rough but running condition Happy tractoring

sask
I recently looked at a 6116 with the three speed "heavy duty" cast iron transmission for sale locally. Does anyone have any information on the reliability of this transmission, or other problems with this model (I have heard a bit about problems with some of the Simplicity transmissions on tractors from the early 80's, but don't know which ones cause problems). I already own an '86 DA 616 (5216) hydro, and the 6116 frame, etc. looks the same otherwise. Thanks in advance, Pat