Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

310 engine shot,suggestions?

have a 71' 310 w/k241 10 hp. had an old(and good) kohler mech. look at it, he said it has a .030 over piston now and is worn about .040 beyond that. i believe he mentioned the word "boat anchor". just curious if anybody had any suggestions as to alternate engines or whatever. could get a short block from kohler but it's more than 800.00. thanks.

Would you be interested in parting the machine out. I have a restored 310 that had an unfortunate crash that damaged the hood and front cowl. Let me know where you are located if you would consider selling the tractor/parts. Thanks

My grandfather has a kohler k-301 for 300 bucks complete with starter and all, I think it should fit, if you are interested in it call 1-815-475-4155 and ask for jim and say you are interested in buying his kohler engine, good luck, -Brad Wies

That egine was used in alot of early cub cadet 100's also so look around you might be able to find one out there.Also ask dlc if he has any for sale he had one that would have fit my 310 for sale last spring. Good luck with it but if you do decide to part it out let me know I would like the vari shift trans in it . Jim V.

Cadet engines have a different sump and mounting style and early ones are set up for belt driven generator - won't work. Simplicity/AC must have the offset mounting "legs" that use bolt and nut to secure to frame.

you have a coupole option's . pick up a used block or bore the block you have to a 12 hp bore (it will go ) change the crank & rod to 12 hp parts & you have a 12 hp K301kohler , I've done this on alot of worn overbore 10's

well if the crankcase on your old engine is good, you could get the k301 i talked about above and put it on your old motors crankcase, just a thought.........BradW

Sorry Brad - still won't work. If I remember correctly the dip stick area won't mate up except in one rare case. Now if someone made an adaptor you might be able to go to market....