Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Hydrostatic Transmission - Vickers - need help

I have a Sovereign 3314H and I have a Vickers Transmission. I have changed the oil filter to see if that would correct the problem. It did not. The problem is that when it is cold and for 15 minutes, the tractor has difficulty "moving up hill". It acts like it is not pumping oil or some other laymans term. After about 15 minutes it seems to finally be able to pump enough oil thru the Vickers to run fairly normal. I have been putting in regular automotive transmission oil as called for in the manual. I don't know if this is now the problem or should I be using some other type of oil that would flow better. I have wondered this as the tractor is 30 years old and the transmission oil 30 years ago is, I would imagine, not the same as is available today. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. rich

Sandy_Lake_Imp
Dexron ATF is still the stuff to use.If it is drawing air the oil will be frothy. If not drawing air & the belt is OK & tight then hydro wear is likely. We can repair it for you but parts are hard to get & pricey. We have a rebushed housing on shelf but no used rotating parts at this time.