Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Mower Deck Covers

Simplicity put these on for a reason - appearance, safety, ???. But, they hide those wet grass clippings that want to rust out the deck. What do the experienced users do, leave them on or take them off?

JeffNemes
Jeff, duh.......... I guess the wet clippings are from washing my deck. Is that what you expected me to say? Nope, I know you have warned about the perils of washing (tractors), and I agree with you. My tractor is not left out in the rain either. The clippings are wet because the grass I mow is green, and has a moisture content. I suppose when the moisture evaporates is condenses on the covers and drips back down. Then, when the clippings dry out they absorb humidity, which makes them wet again. Tej, I just removed my covers after maybe 6 hours of mowing and was surprised to see the belts and pulleys really packed with clippings. No, my deck and covers are not bent and the covers fit properly as designed. So much for keeping clippings off the belts and pulleys. Good advise about keeping a coat of paint on the deck, especially under the covers in the arbor valleys. And, a good use for those "almost empty" paint cans. The "proper color" shouldn't even matter if covers are used.

tej
Safety is certainly one reason also the covers keep alot of the clippings, etc off of the belts and pulleys. Keep a good paint job on the deck and take the covers off a couple times a year and clean the clippings out.

tej
One thing puzzles me and that is why are you getting that many clippings on top of your deck when the discharge is to the side. I clean my deck once a year and have never found alot of clippings under the covers; but, I have a relatively small lawn. Do you mow a large area?

tej, you ask a very valid question that I can't answer. I have about 10 acres to mow. But, I overhauled the deck and then used it about 6 hours before I removed the covers and discovered the pulleys and belts PACKED with clippings. The deck sheet metal is in very nice shape (no bends, cracks, rot, etc.), and has not been modified. The covers fit as they should, so at this time I can't explain how the clippings are getting inside.

JeffNemes
During anually servicing these covers are removed for inspection and are usually always packed with grass. I believe the belt/pulley rotation at high speed creates a vacuum effect as air is drawn in from the non-sealed areas.

PETED
I have the same problem with the deck on my 416H. After mowing, the deck is covered with clippings that get under neath. Jeff is probably right about the vacuum affect. I agree with Tej and keep the deck painted, and take the covers off a couple of times a season to clean the deck good. I even replaced the hex nuts with wing nuts to make removal easier. Pete D

tsteahr
I use compressed air to clean the grass off the deck and mower after I mow. It takes just a minute or two to get the deck and tractor free of grass. My grass is not sticky. By the time I have finished mowing my 2 acers the grass is dry and just blows right off. If it were wet from fresh rain or heavy dew it would be harder to get off. But then I don't think it would get under the pully covers if it were that wet. I know it is obvious but wear some eye protection when using the compressed air. It's not worth getting having a eye problem over somthing as silly as cleaning your tractor.