Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What's that smell?

fomoco390

I was working on my old Landlord the other day, adding the ignition switch, among other things. I screwed up the wiring (not paying close enough attention), and I think I toasted the coil. There was smoke coming up from the engine shroud. I'm pretty sure it was the magic smoke that makes the coil work. I proceeded to hook up a 12V coil from a BMW, and now my engine runs like a BMW. My concern is that I may not have everything wired correctly (ammeter, points, coil, etc), and that my smooth running engine is a time bomb. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the automotive-type coil conversion? Now the REALLY bad news. My 716H's K341 Kohler died yesterday. It sputtered and smoked, bogged down, and stopped (according to my wife, who was mowing at the time). I cranked on it immediatly afterwards, and it sounded like something was loose in the engine and it didn't really want to turn over. After the engine cooled it wouldn't turn over at all. I'm really concerned. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? I'm getting prepared to pull the engine soon. Thanks for your help! James

On the 716 it sounds like you either have a broken rod or the rings on you piston are sticking to the sides, both are common, take a look, i bet that that is what it is, -BradW

Oil level is OK. I keep a close check on it. It bothers me in that I've never heard a peep from this engine before. I had a thought: Is it possible that the bevel gear box is locked up, causing the engine to not turn over? It will roll freely when the neutral buttons is pushed in.

Check the starter engage - the gear can jam into the flywheel and cause the starter to burn out. Also pull out the spark plug - you should be able to turn the engine freely at drive shaft or front crankshaft. You don't have a belt drive starter/generator do you? If so generator bearings may have fried - disconnect belt to check.