Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Snow Thrower Hybrid Hitch

Winter is right around the corner and I didn't want my 7012 doing nothing but be in the way until next spring. So, I decided to hook up a snow thrower. I had to decide how to power it; front or center PTO. With some appreciated input from Les Kreifels and Jeff Nemes, I decided to use my center PTO rather than install a front PTO. To use the center PTO I needed to buy a 7100 series idler arm or modify mine, buy a hitch and modify it, and buy a 147" belt. It occurred to me that my mower deck belt is 74" long, almost exactly half the length of the snow thrower belt needed. I know that I've never had a problem with my mower deck belt twisting or coming off the pulleys. So, I decided to retain the angle of the mower deck belt by fabricating a hitch with a mounting pad that places an arbor at the exact location of the mower deck pulley and use my mower deck belt. To drive the snow blower, I used my spare mower deck belt from the other end of the arbor. Rather than buy an arbor, I used one from my mower deck. The blade end of the mower deck arbor has the same spline as the pulley end, so I replaced the blade with the other arbor pulley. Now almost everything works this winter.