Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

paint

I just aquired a b1 AC which is in bad need of paint. Does anyone have a paint number or color name which in can get so I can dress this b1 up. Also what is a good source for decals for this unit?

I use van sickle brand caterpillar yellow with hardner. Rural King stores sell this brand. It looks very close to oem. Theres a section on the home page that has decal info. I Have a big ten that i had decals made for, just the hood, and I think I can still get them made. They look factory. Steve

in answer to questions about hardners, i used to work in an auto parts store which sold paint supplies. one thing the paint reps always stressed was if you painted in the afernoon or evening be sure to keep the temp of your shop at the recomended temp on the paint can. reason being is that if the temp drops say to 45 or 50 degrees the paint may stop curing. I guess what happens is the chemical reaction stops and will not pickup when the temp comes back up therefore leaving your paint sometimes soft. the only other thing i can't stress enought is the use of plenty of ventilation and the best resperiator you can get. thanks for the help on the color good luck with your projects.

Many other stores like Ace Hardware and Farm and Fleet offer impliment paint including the Cat Yellow. I don't know how close the color is to the Rural King paint though. Rural King has a nice Web site where you can buy the Van Sickle paint Steve used. Steve, I have a B-10 and a B-210 that I'll be painting over the winter. I'm new at painting. Do you have any words of wisdom for the use of hardener? BrianS