Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BrianS

Wheel Weight

BrianS
Has anyone filled tires with antifreeze for wheight? I have some tires that won't hold air and was going to put tubes in them and thought I might try filling them. I think this would be a pain without tubes but might not be too bad if I start with a deflated tube. Will this work as a cheap form of weight? BrianS

Ishmael2k
As you can see from the previous thread, the best thing to use is either RV antifreeze (My choice.) or windshield washer fluid. The use of cloride (From a tractor dealer) would be ok as long as it is inside the tube. Otherwise you will be replacing the rims fairly soon. Rob

Brian, I see no reason why fluid in tires for traction would hurt anything. However I wouldn't use antifreeze. Instead, go to a Case/JD or other tractor dealer and see if you can purchase fluid made for this purpose in a small quantity. It is used in the large farming tractors. Good luck.

Kent
Check out this link for a previous discussion on the subject....[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=2159&mode=short&startwith=0']http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=2159&mode=short&startwith=0[/a]

To make inexpensive wheel weights first remove your wheels and line them with plastic wrap then fill them with concrete. While the concrete is still wet insert all thread rods through the wheels into the concrete and allow it to cure. Add nuts and washers to the bolts to hold them in place and you have perfect fitting wheel weights. You can also make a concrete form from sheet metal the same diameter as the wheels to extend the concrete pour and make the weights as heavy as you like. It works great and is cheap.