Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Les

Just got home with my 720!

Les
I have been looking for a 616/620/720 for a long time. I bought one sight unseen from Jerry at RT's in Paddock Lakes, WI. Just got it home. Supposedly it runs but I havent even got around to putting a battery in it. Its rough for sure but it looks like everything is there, except the seat(minor problem). My first problem is that the ignition switch is not working and I have wires hanging out all over. Is this common? I havent yet figured out the transmission, it is the 3-speed but it has an oil resevoir and filter like a hydro. With a forward/reverse lever. Can anyone explain this to me? What does the lever do that is underneath the hydraulic controls? Jerry said that he had it running by rigging up the ignition wires and it smokes but clears up after it warms up. The oil level on the stick is way below the fill line. These Onans scare me. How often do you change oil and how often do you change the filters? There is no 3 point either. How expensive will it be to find a 3 point hitch for this tractor? Overall it looks like an awsome machine, I am really exited!! My biggest fear is divorce court, I now have 7 AC's!!! Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Les.

JeffG
Les, Looks like you have yourself a nice winter project. First your going to need to probably replace the ignition switch (check the solenoid first, though). Nine times out of ten, the problem lies in the solenoid. The wires hanging out all over is someone else's handy work, most likely. Probably an ill fated stab at jumping out safety switches, rewiring the ignition switch, etc. - Not recognizing the real problem. Now your going to have to go through it all and straighten it out. Just about all of them have these wiring problems - people do the strangest things with the wiring?? The other issue here is the famed Onan CCK charging system. Talk to Al about that - I hope yours is charging, enough said on that topic. You need a good service manual - a must! The transmission is a Sunstrand Hydrostat with a 3-speed gearbox behind it. It's a pretty cool set-up, but you'll probably only use first gear 99% of the time. The lever under the hydro lift levers is the parking brake. It will pull the left brake pedal down (if the pedals are unpinned). The brakes probably don't work on the thing anyway. You can try adjusting them to get some brake out of the thing(rods run under top of frame on either side of the hydro pump - under the rear PTO cover). I feel that the Onans work very well and have great power, but can be a bit tempermental. The point gap and timing need to be set perfectly. I'd put in a new set of points and condenser, plugs, change all fluids and filters (air, oil, hydro, fuel)-(be sure to bleed the hydro. pump after changing fluid), have a new diaphram (rebuild kit) on hand for the mechanical fuel pump, clean carb and adjust, etc. The 3-point hitches are tough to find, because they're usually on the tractors. They are out there though, I would guess for about $250. How about a rear PTO - do you have one? The PTO clutches are also a high dollar item. You're right, these are awesome, well-built machines and will do a ton of work for you. Good luck, any questions give me a holler. Jeff

powermax_paul
Congratulations Les! I agree with Jeff. You have a good winter project there. If I can help Email me. As for your wife, once she sees what this unit can do, she'll make you sell everything else, but she'll take the 720 and give you the house and kids. So be carefull we wouldn't want that to happen!

KraigTM
Les, congratulations!! I have an AC620 they are great tractors, just in need of a little TLC. They are actually very easy to work on. Get your self a service manual for i,t that'll help a great deal in working on it. Let me know if I can help in any way. I have a copy of the operator's manual and service manual. I could scan a page or two (like the wiring diagram) for you to get you by until you can round up your own copies of the manuals. Good luck. Here's a link to the photos of mine that are in the gallery. Kraig[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/km_620.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/km_620.htm[/a]

DPinske
If you need help,I have complete set of manuals that I can copy and send you.They cover the tractor,mower,blower,sickle,tiller.Also have the onan engine manual.As JeffG said,change all fluids and filters.Transmission is Fram PH16,Oil is Fram PH3600,Air is Baldwin PA2347.They are the only one I have found that still makes the air filter.Cost is 15-16 dollars