Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

728 3 speed stuck in 2nd gear

SmilinSam

kids friend has his stuck in second gear and cant get it out. Any ideas?

Detent ball or spring went bye-bye, and fingers are out of phase, my guess. Or the two half moons that hold shift lever in place are worn. Either way I think transmission needs to be split open.

The shift fork probably dropped off the roll pin..I have a 728 that I bought that way.I fixed mine by taking the seat pan off and up at the top of the transmission case is a oil plug/fill hole. Anyway I took the plug out and the shift keys are right there..Took a screw driver and wiggled the shift lever and pryed or guided the shift fork into the right position..This is really only a temp fix though as the guide pins/roll pins are worn and it will probably do it again..Although mine has not done it again but it does shift out of that gear harder than it should..Most of the time when they do this it will mash the teeth on the gear cluster assembly..I have been using mine for 3-4 years now even though its not right..

If the 728 is anything like my AC712, what mowerman has described will work. "daddycat" has an old post with pictures on how to do this.They call this the "bent screwdriver trick" because you take a screwdriver and bend a hook on the end and reach in the hole and hook the shift levers to get them back in their proper place. I think it was about 3 years ago that I did it and have had no problems since. But, I am careful when shifting now. Dan aka IronPony

Try this link to thedaddycat's post/thread on this subject. www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=12052&SearchTerms=shifting,forks

Here's another link Sam with a diagram of the screwdriver I had that worked on my 314 [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=11969&SearchTerms=screwdriver[/url] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/KSever/screwdriver.jpg[/img]