Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New owner

Craiger

Hey guys and gals. I'm new here. As a veteran forum user, I know you see these kinds of threads every day......newbies, I mean. I'm just dropping in to say, "Hi!". I'll be asking some questions in the not too distant future. My father-in-law just gave me an "old-to-me" Simplicity/Allis Chalmers 610 series yard tractor (I believe it's a 70s model....but not sure). It comes with the belly mower, a front snow blade and a rear tiller. Anyway, I rode it last night. It seems the rear differential's got some issues. It was slipping and grabbing quite a bit. I'm thinking the gears are not meshed properly or they're missing some teeth. I'll be finding out once I go get it and bring it home. Right now, I'm just doing some research on the good 'ole web. Looks like the motor's been upgraded to an 11hp (previous owner). Other than that, it appears to be all original. The paint seems to be in pretty good shape. No real rust that I can see. It's leaking some oil....so I'll need see what's going on there, too. That's all for now. I'll take some pictures before I start disassembling things. After looking at some of them in the "Shmow and Till" forum, I just may have to restore this baby before I actually use it. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the club, you may want to invest the $10.00 so you can post pictures and have access to all of the site. The money is well worth it. I have been on site for about 6 years and the wealth of knowledge is incredible. JH

Welcome,sounds like a decent tractor to start with.I say "start",because after a few weeks of hanging around here,one is not enough.....

Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll be investing that $10.00....and am looking forward to dipping into this "tub o' knowledge".

Welcome to the club Craig. I joined the club a few months ago and had 1 tractor, A 728 broadmoor. I now have 4 and going tomorrow to get a 5th and always looking for more.

Welcome Craig you will like it here I am new here myself but I have already learned alot from the posts. A few people helped me out on my first simplicity. got hooked bought another a couple days later. had it running the day after purchase with a few questions answered quickly (thanks dave).

Welcome! Absolutely the best $10 I spent int the last 12 months! Enjoy! You'll find alot of good info here. What kind of Jeep do you have?

Thanks again guys! I actually have two Jeeps....one mildly lifted grocery-gettin' '98 ZJ that belongs to my wife (so she thinks.....LOL!) and my daily drivin' toy, a '99 TJ. Hope it's okay to post a pic....since I haven't joined the club just yet. Here's my toy.

Sorry for the slight OT diversion. Okay.....it's happening. I'm smart enough and involved enough in other hobbies (like Jeepin', ATVs, camping, and fishkeeping) to know when the "bug" bites. I haven't stopped reading or thinking about these simple machines since my father-in-law offered this small tractor to me. I know I've been bitten.....so you're likely going to see more and more posts from me after today (which is when I go pick it up). I've got to tend to our quads before I start stripping the tractor down (Bev's needs some carburetor attention and the oil lines on mine are leaking...so probably need replaced). But once they're finished, I'm planning to go hog wild restoring the tractor. Here's where you come in. I'd like some help in knowing what parts are to be painted specific colors (chassis, grill, hood, engine, etc.). I know having the VIN number will help tremendously, so I'm not expecting too much 'til I supply it. I've mentioned it before, but the engine isn't stock. I don't remember seeing what brand it is, but it's 11hp and red. The tractor is orange....which should help in dating it. Seems most of the Simplicity/Allis-Chalmers tractors were painted yellow sometime in the 70s. I'm planning on stripping this thing down and painting everything the colors they're supposed to be. And while i'm at it, rebuilding the rear differential....if it's rebuildable. I'm sure anything is with the right amount of money. Here's some good news I found out just yesterday....some friends of mine are Simplicity dealers....so parts could be easy to come by should I want to go that route. Not only are they a dealer, they're also a small engine repair service....increasing my chances of them having used parts laying around. :D Thanks again, guys. I'm looking forward to this little adventure. Good thing I just finished my Motorcycle and ATV Repair Course. I have a feeling all that learning, paired with what little experience I have, is going to help me a ton.

Got some pictures. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 11hp and the I.D. number on the chassis is 1690064 002328. Here it is still on the trailer.

Doh! Looks like I broke a rule in posting the pics. I'm very sorry...and it won't happen again. I plan to subscribe this coming weekend. Is it okay to repost the pics once that's completed?

quote:
Originally posted by Craiger
Doh! Looks like I broke a rule in posting the pics. I'm very sorry...and it won't happen again. I plan to subscribe this coming weekend. Is it okay to repost the pics once that's completed?
Absolutely.