Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Boring?

tmerideth

I am trying to get a Kohler 10hp block rebored .010. I cannot find a shop within a 25 mile radius that still bores small engine blocks. Is anyone else finding this to be a problem? What equipment does it take to bore a small engine block?

Hi Tom, Any automotive machine shop should be able to do it as should any competent machine shop although a regular machine shop would probably cost more since they are not normally set up to do blocks. Takes a boring bar/head and fixturing to center the bore up on whatever machine they are using. There are also portable boring machines that fixture themselves to whatever is being bored. Climax Machine makes the portable units I am familiar with. Good luck,

Roy, the automotive machine shop that has done this boring for years just stopped boring small engines two weeks ago. Another engine repair shop stopped reboring small engines just this week. You don't happen to have one of these machines in all of your tools do you?

Unfortunately not. Aren't you close to Charlotte? I would think somewhere in such a large city you could find a shop that can do it. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

I would think a call to a motorcycle shop would get you pointed in the right direction. They may outsource some of that work. Or if you know anyone who has racing go karts, racing dirt bikes, etc..., I would ask them, as the high-strung two-strokes are always working on needing the next rebore. (I do realize that four strokes are increasingly popular with dirt bikes, but anyone in that community knows someone who's had a dirt bike rebored, I'm sure). Peter

I know at least three places here in town that will bore small engines. Not a problem in this area. A couple years ago, I had a Kohler bored .020 for $55. That was the cheap part. Kohler piston and rings ran about $125.

Thanks guys for all the hints. I will check into some of your suggestions. I hope mine is a localized problem. It would surely be a shame if we couldn't continue to keep these old engines refreshed.

quote:
Originally posted by tmerideth
Thanks guys for all the hints. I will check into some of your suggestions. I hope mine is a localized problem. It would surely be a shame if we couldn't continue to keep these old engines refreshed.
Ok since no one else thought of this I'll say it. If your engine is boring, get a more interesting engine!:D}:):o) Elon

Elon, good one. :D Given how many wise guys we have here, I guess it was luck that the thread made it this far.;)

quote:
Originally posted by tmerideth
Elon, good one. :D Given how many wise guys we have here, I guess it was luck that the thread made it this far.;)
:D:D:D:D

only .010? A good engine hone, not a glaze breaking hone, perhaps a couple sets of stones, a couple of hours, on and off, and you can bore that yourself. If you are only wantong to go .010, you are likely nearly worn that far, anyway

If its a Kohler,.010 wont do it most I've had done need .020 to clean up properly, Kohler has crazy cast in them, same as their toilets!,, My friend does mine for $45 per block. As hes got a new boring bar/hone set-up. never had a prob yet with any of them he's done. Also I'll bet the crank needs to be cut back to round too,,.

There are lots of smaller machine shops and hobby machinists in my area, maybe because its rural, I can get a singe cylinder bored for $30.