Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-110 idle problem

dlblom

I was wondering if anybody could help me. I was mowing yesterday with my B-110 and after about 15 minutes, it started missing terribly. I turned it off to check things over and waited about 15-20 minutes, started it up and it ran fine. I mowed another 15 minutes and had the same problem. This happened about three times. It was as though something was getting hot and cutting out, but it acted almost like it was running out of gas even though there was a full tank of fresh gas. Could it be points, plug , or condenser? Anybody had a similar problem? Thanks for any input and advice.

Sounds like it's overheating to me... check under the tin of the engine for a mouse's nest or other obstruction...

...and coils can fail when hot, then work when they've cooled. But I'd do as Kent says first--mice make inroads all the time--a lot more often than owners pull the cooling shrouds off, IMO.

Check the gas cap vent. I had a fuel filter that was clogged bad, but if I let sit it would refill and run good for a few minutes.

If none of the other things works, then check the valve clearances. As the valves work over the years they will beat themselves into the seats and tighten up the clearance. If the valve clearance is too low, or non-existent, as the exhaust valve gets hotter with longer use, the shaft will get longer till it won't close. Metal expands as it heats up. I think I may have this problem on my 713S, but haven't checked it. It has acted up a couple of times just as I am finishing the front yard. I usually just take a break for a few minutes, then start it and do the back yard. It is not a mouse nest, because it did this just after I put the tractor together, and I cleaned the fins when I did that.

I've seen dirt {more like silt}partially clog fuel lines before the filter,so i replace my fuel line and filter ever spring and keep an eye on the filter.the in tank screen could be getting clogged.worth a look.