Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A few Questions Long story

mhaubner

I am the proud owner of a 1968-69 AC HB112. My grandfather bought if new and it spent the first 25 years of its life cutting 5 acres and tilling his 1/2 acre garden. I inheredted this tractor in 1992 and have used it to mow, till and blow snow quite regularly. In short this has been a well used reliable member of the family for 38 years. I have done the regular maintance and replace a few parts along the way but it is primarily in original condition. It is starting to show its age and my wife is threating to find a replacement. I am looking for help on a few topics The tractor has always been a reliable started but lately will not start when engine is warm. Any thoughts? The carb drips a small amount of gas around the choke area. Time for new or rebuilt carb? Never been touched. I have regulaly greased the steering but it is becoming stiff. Is it time to rebuild what should be replaced. Seat is original looking for the fabric to restore. In the end I would like to continue to use this as a daily mower but would also like it to remian relible and easy to use. Thank you in advance for any help, ideas, comments you may have.

Welcome, Wish I was able to help but I don't know much about the 112. You might want to check the carb shafts for play. Is there a way to check the lube in the steering gear box ? Your grandfathers tractor, that is something many of us wish we had. Once gone can never be replaced

Looks to me you have a couple of choices. #1 After 38 years spend a few bucks and rebuild the carb and the engine probebly need points and condenser, and rings maybe a few more parts and get another 30 years out of it.:D:D:D Or #2 Do like I would if my wife wanted a replacement tractor find a another old AC or Simplicity tractor and then tell her you can't get rid of you grandfathers tractor, It's been in the family longer than you have honey.}:)}:)}:) Then do #1 any way and have 2 good old tractors. A lot less switching the tiller, mower and blower around ps If you go with #2 sleep lightly for a little while. :D}:):D}:) or reword it to sound better.

You can rebuild the carb,to take care of the fuel leak,but more than likely it will still seep.I put a brand new carb on my 3410,and within 6 months,it would drip after shutdown.Most people just put a fuel shutoff on it,and let it go at that. Some steering gears have a grease zerk underneath,at the gears themselves.Maybe the gears need greased,or the bushings in the steering shaft need lube.A little time is involved,but nothing major work wise. I'd say let your wife buy a replacement,and then make sure she enjoys using it!:) Meanwhile you keep the AC!

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer I'd say let your wife buy a replacement,and then make sure she enjoys using it!:) Meanwhile you keep the AC!
Excactly;)^

Mike, Welcome to the club. Keep the B-112 and fix it. They are a real workhorse. I have two and they are my main users all year . You did not mention if your engine smokes or uses oil. If it does not, a carb rebuild and ignition tune up may solve your starting and carb leaking problems. As Kenny says, you need to lube the steering gears amd bushings. I clean the dead grass from that area and squirt some 30wt. oil on the bushings and gears. That seems to help. New seat cushins are available as a set from Sandy Lake Implement, one of the sponsors of this site. Good luck, Jim

Welcome Mike. I'd for sure keep the tractor. Period. Next, there is no direct cross over tractor in the Simplicity lineup but the 3212H is basicly the same tractor as far as the running gear goes. Look this tractor up on the Simp. publications site and download the operaters and repair manual. This will give you a parts breakdown and complete repair instructions on the steering gear. Once outlined you can disassemble the troubled section and do the repair yourself. All the neccessary parts are still availiable. Good luck and continue to enjoy your tractor.

i was reading through the problems with this machine and so far as the complaint about not starting when warm: I would try and check if there is a spark when you find the machine will not start, somtimes when the coils heat up if they are bad they cut out. I would check the ignition side when you have that no start condition occour. good luck!! john

Thanks everyone for your ideas and tips. I wish I would have found you guys about 10 years ago would have saved me time scratching my head wondering what would fly apart if I loosend the thingy. No plans on retiring or selling the 112. I have done all the work myself so far but have had mixed success with carbs on other machines (cars ect). The engine is original and has never been torn down. It does not smoke even after sitting for a few weeks between snow falls. I have two great sources for parts in the Minneapolis area. One is the Simplicity dealer in North Branch. They have given me a lot of the repair drawings and service info including an owners manual for a 3212 Sim. The other is a nearby boneyard for lesser tractors and discarded attachments. I procurred the blower and mowing deck from these folks. Both vintage and AC. Would have come with the tractor new. The tiller was on the tractor as my grandfather had dedicated it to tiller duty for the last few years he had it. I will spend the $10 so I can post some pictures. Thanks again for the warm welcome and if there is anything I can help with I will try.

The carb on these engines..is yours a Briggs, or the other brand? Either way, the carb is basically an easy task and anyone with patience and the understanding that if you take it apart, watch what you are doing when you take it apart, remember where the parts came from, as they will usually only fit in one place, can do an overhaul. You can almost not screw one up! As for the fuel shutoff, most likely there is already one in place at the bottom of the tank, it just likely has never been used. Loosen it up and begin using it. Turn the gas off when the tractor is not in use. Make it a habit, and the fuel drips go away, as does the problem of trying to start the engine with a cylinder full of gas, or, worse, running the tractor with a crankcase full of gas, which will cause some expensive to repair problems. Your local small engine parts dealer should have all the carb parts you'll need, with exception, sometimes, to the gaskets. Those can be made, as I have been doing for years on older engines of all types. Spend the $10, it is worth the effort! And, welcome aboard!