Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 718H Ignition Problem

gr-made

I have a problem I hope someone can help me with. I have an AC 718H that appears to have an ignition problem. I was using the tractor over the weekend and she just died on me. I thought that the timing may have went off but that was not the problem. After a very hard start the engine will run very eratically and it feels like a big load is on the motor. I had the same problem a few months ago and had a loose connection between the solonoid and the circuit breaker. After repairing this it ran fine. I thought this could be the problem again so I replaced the circuit breaker and re-checked my connection to no avail. Is there anywhere else I can check to get her running smooth again? I would be willing to put on a solid state ignition if this would solve my problem. Do you still need to have the coil etc. if you go to solid state? How hard is a solid state to put on a Kohler K361S? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a lot of work for her to do. Thanks GR-MADE Cedar Springs, MI

I wold suggest cleaning your breaker points and checking your gap for the points and spark plug and check your ignition coil and replace and gap the spark plug

Quick Update: I did check the resistance in the coil and found it to have no resistance between the pos and neg terminals. The manual I have says you need to have between 4 and 8 ohms of resistance. Could this be the problem that I am having?