Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Danged Running Board

Roy

After mowing the other day I discovered the left running board was wearing a spot on the power steering cylinder due to lack of clearance. Tonight I dropped the cylinder and ground an arc in the running board to allow some clearance. FTD's don't have this type of problem. Pictures show the worn spot and arc I ground. [img]/club2/attach/Roy/RB%201.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/Roy/RB%202.JPG[/img] Also found one of the PS hydraulic hoses chaffing on the fitting for the other hose at the cylinder. Tie wrapped it down in a slightly different location to eliminate the problem. Has anyone else had this problem or am I just lucky?

"Think that maybe the end of the RB might have been bent down slightly?" Maybe, but it will hard to bend back up as there are two reinforcing ribs stamped in at the bend. :( "get rid of the running boards......." Good idea. ^ If only the seat weren't so high. "Power Steering, what's that?" A high priced option you select when buying a new tractor and have two bad shoulders. :) Mowed today and am afraid I'll have to remove the running board and trim it more. It needs another 1/4" of clearance.

Sounds like you are going to need to get rid of those old RBTs without power steering. They must be hard on your shoulders.:D

Rod, My other RBT, the 7013S, is hard to steer. :( The B-1 and 725 steer easily. :) Score another one for the FDT's.

As handy as you been welding at things here lately Roy, I'm bettin' you can build a proper set of foot rests at the right hieght to fit you then you can donate them running boards to the rock shaker project mine at saved for :)

I need to ask what is probably a VERY stupid question but here goes. What is an RBT?? Running Board Tractor?? Really Bad Tractor??Run Behind Tractor??Racing Bozos Team?? OK dont laugh too hard , but I just wanna know. Its driving me crazy, but it does sound pretty funny when I try and put some of those definitions I came up with in posts mentioning RBT's.:D:D:D Thanks in advance! Randy

quote:
Originally posted by Blu
What is an RBT?? Running Board Tractor??
Yes, and an FDT is a Foot Dragging Tractor -- an earlier model that did not have running boards, only stirrups... There's been a friendly banter going on here, back and forth, about which one is best for several years here...

Roy, One thing is bothering me about this interference problem. You have owned this tractor for quite a while. Has the problem just recently surfaced?

Marty, I have considered making a set of foot rests like you did for your tractor. Rod, The problem has always been there but only recently did I notice the worn spot on the PS cylinder which is why I am concerned. A dented cylinder, or one with a hole worn in it, is a problem. I'm just trying to effect a fix before it damages the cylinder. D-17, Tried to bend the end of the running board up last night. Only succeeded in bending up the 4" C-clamp I was using. The stiffening ribs stamped in the runnnin board worked as intended/designed. Need to remove the running board and grind some more clearance but one of the hydraulic hoses is in the way. Hate to break the hydraulics to modify the running board but may have to. Thanks gang,

Wont the running board bend if you put the jack under it and jack it up? I imagine it would work but ive never tried it.

Update: I wasn't satisfied with the first clearance notch I made so went back and redid the job for more clearance. Note the worn spot on the hydraulic cylinder.

Took 3/8" off the front of the running board for increased clearance.

Chevrolet orange is a close but not exact match.

That's all,