Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AG Tires

Tractorholic

I was wondering if you folks with more experience could provide some thoughts/opinions on AG tires vs turf tires. I am thinking about gettting a pair of AG tires for my 6216 to have for when I get around to clearing a 1/4 acre area of small stumps and such to put in a water feature. I am wondering if the AG tires would perform better than the turf tires with chains. Also thought just having the extra set of AG tires and rims would add value to machine if I were to ever sell it with all the other attachments that I have. Thanks for taking time to ponder this one. Mike

I have two machines now with ag tires on them and I find for ground engaging work (tilling snowblower) you cant beat the ag tires /weights vs turf tires/chains. I got my tires from rustybore tire store off ebay and they were great. If you have a spare set of rims you could mount a set of ag's on them, i mow my lawn with the ag's on my tractor, the only thing i would say is that if the soil is wet or you make sharp turns you could damage the lawn, me personally my lawn is green and i mow it nice but i am careful when i mow so i leave the ag's on year round. One good idea no matter which way you decide to go is to think seriously about filling the tires with fluid (usually Washer fluid) this will add a good deal of weight to each tire and give you much better traction. do a search through the forum on ag tires and or traction there is a wealth of info on the subject. good luck john

The only time I have ever seen the need for chains on a good AG tire is when operating on ice. On dirt and in mud, the chains can hurt more than they help, because the chains will hold the dirt and mud and will not allow the tires to clean themselves, as an AG tire is designed to do. Chains are absolutely necessary of a turf tire for anything other than mowing on level ground, but I personally have never used chains on an AG tire.

I never had to use chains on a turf tire to till and the only time I have ever needed them is to push snow.

Ron, I wasn't thinking about putting chains on the AG's I was just wondering about the power/suitability of AG's vs turf tires with chains when working in rougher terrain. Hadn't even considered chains on the AG's and won't now given your response. Thanks.

Sorry about that Mike! Guess I mis-read it. Been several people talking about chains on AG tires lately, and I was just thinking that way. In my opinion, AG tires are better than turf tires in nearly every situation. I even like them better on a lawn mower. I know some will take exception with this statement, but that is my opinion. Only reason I own chains for my tractors is that they are so much cheaper than buying new AG tires. I have AG tires, but in most cases it is easier to install chains on turfs than to change wheels. Depends on what I am doing, and which tractor I am using.

AG's are great for plowing, tilling, dozing, etc. Turf are great for mowing and easy on the lawn. So you need 2 tractors, one with AG's and one with turfs. Well...thats what most of us do.....LoL! Pat

I just sold the second tractor this past weekend. (small shed and not enough room in the garage) I've got to get a bigger shed or build a woodworking shop so I can get the garage stall back and buy anther 6216.