Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What Engines Fit ??

John_RI

I know this has been talked about many times before - how interchangeable are the briggs horizontal engines? The engine in my 725 self-destructed over the weekend. My question is: what will fit as a replacement? I'm thinking that any of the cast iron ones would fit. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John(RI)

I have a B-210 that I got becauce it had a blown engine. It had the standard Briggs 243431 engine. I had a B-10 that I pulled the engine out of as a temporary fix. The model on this engine was a 23D. It worked fine. BrianS

I think the B&S 8HP engine will fit without any modifications. My Simplicity 725 has a B&S 10HP in it. The 10HP engine in both longer front to back and taller than the original 7-1/4HP. The following modifications include, but may not be limited to: 1)the bottom of the frame(belly)will have to be modified to be flat to provide clearance for the blower housing, 2)the 10HP engine will bolt directly to the frame rather than using the spacers under the original 7-1/4HP, the oil drain access on the right-hand side of the frame will need modification, 3)the hood will rest on the air cleaner and the starter/ generator, 4)the driveshaft will have to be shortened

We have a 725 to part out. The engine was supposedly rebuilt several years ago and the tractor was never put to use again. It is a model 19. $250 would by the engine with a money back guarantee (except shipping) if not satisfied. E mail or ph 724-376-2489 8-5 eastern

I say go for the B&S 10Hp conversion. I bought my used 725 22+ years ago and it had been repowered with a new 10 by the former owner. I've always had enough power and never had any trouble. A couple of things mentioned in Bill C's reply are not evident on my conversion others were. 1) The belly pan had no modification made for clearing the blower shroud. There is ZERO clearance but everything mounts OK directly to the pan (no spacers) and works fine. 2) The diveshaft shows no sign of shortening so possibly a shorter stock shaft fits. 3) The oil drain and fill locations are same as the small engine so no modifications were made. This engine is "BIG" so to remedy the air cleaner and genemotor bumping against the hood increase the height of the rubber bumpers in the grill posts by shimming them until you get the clearance you need. You may need to do a little body and fender work with a ball peen hammer around the genemotor pully area on the hood to get a good fit. It's possible the 10Hp B&S made 22+ years ago may be slightly different from later models. Just food for thought...but I think you'll be happy with the conversion.

Thanks for all the info! I'd like to look for & find something ‘running" (I'm pretty cheap but my wife thinks the hundred I payed for the 725 was a thousand too much), so the more options I have the better. Thanks Bill K. for the model 19 offer, sure sounds like a good deal but for now I'm going to hold off. As Bill C. thought, the 8hp (model 20) does fit w/o any modification -- I got my 725 with the 8hp and see no modifications. The 8hp was more than enough power for mowing but I expect it might be a bit on the low side for the snow blower. If I had a choice I'd be inclined to go with the 10, but I think I'll take what ever comes along! Thanks again for all the help!! John(RI)