Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck coating

callwill

Thanks to Dickb10 i have a nice solid mower deck for my b1o. It is pretty nice & I want to paint/coat the underside. What works as a lasting rustpreventive coat? Spray can undercoating any good?

I am just about finished with a rebuilt mower deck for my 2012. I primed then painted the underside with EZ slide paint. If you can wait, I can give you short term results by the end of next week. I always wondered if the spray on bed liner material would work. Mike

William, I have used rubberized ( not asphalt )undercoating for about 5 years with good results. I powerwash when I am finished mowing in the fall and let dry for a day or two and spray on a good heavy coat. It does not keep the grass from sticking, but does keep the rust from forming. Jim

has anyone tried the spray one coating Tractor Supply now has for mower decks claims to keep the grass off?

I tested a deck with spray-on bedliner 3 years ago and it held up well, I actually have that mower here for service right now and this post reminded me that I should check this year again to see how it's still doing. Before this I seemed lucky to get the season out of a paint job. If I feel up to it I'll pull the deck and take pictures.

I bought EZ Slide at my local TSC, it's about $6.00 a spray can. You may want to check out the "making deck hulls live longer" thread over in the Tech Tips and Articles section.

I used a spray bomb to undercoat my revitalizer. I have only used it twice since then though. However, the dirt did wash off after each use and the rubber coating remains in tact. However, the first can I used got clogged almost immediately....so i had to run to the store again. Also, if you go this route, shake it VERY thoroughly. It needs was more shaking than a normal spray paint. All in all it worked well. I put extra coats on just so I could burn up the entire can....the guy at the hardware store said these cans often get plugged if you try to use them a second time.

There is some stuff called MR RUST that claims to stay, but I have not tryed it. You might have to do a google for it.

• 2 weeks later...
I have now mowed with my rebuilt deck coated with EZ slide and I can say that it helps. It has been raining a lot here in Michigan so I did mow through a few wet spots, still very little grass sticking to the deck. Now the big question will be how well the coating holds up. Mike

also a follow up on my undercoating experiment...the first time I turned over the revitalizer to pressure wash it....ALL of the undercoating flaked off under the pressure of the gun....:(

POR15 works well for rust prevention. In fact, you don't need to remove any rust, just pait over it. This stuff dries extremely hard and is very smooth. A friend painted the underside of his mower deck and he likes the results w/ it. The grass does not stick, clean up is a breeze and the grass gets discharged easier. HTH, Steve.

I have had decent results with something as simple as Rust Oleum primer, applied in several coats until that can was empty. I am wondering now, about Rhino Lining or similar, such as a commercial truck bed liner, but haven't been able to get off the pocketbook, as yet, as I am still rebuilding major systems.