Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ball Hitch

Roy

For the price this front & rear ball hitch sold for ($190 + $12.50 shipping) I'm tempted to start making them. Re: E-bay Item number: 7763925704 [img]http://i23.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/08/83/70_1.JPG[/img] Does seem high to anyone else?

It least it looks like it went to someone with an Allis connect with an AC ebay name. You might a business there Roy, I would consider an after market designed one for my 7117.

Sold my orriginal for a little less than that awhile back. Hated to see it go but I never used it. There was a guy on e-bay awhile back selling reproductions in the 150-175 dollar range if I remember right. They looked good, powder coated too.

I bid on it myself. Those little plates on the back side look funny to me. The one Dave had didnt have them nor does the literature pic?????

Price seemed high to me; but what do I know? A possbile business oportunity for John Holcomb?? He made some nice grader blade hitches for us a few years back. If someone wants to fab a bunch up, let me know; I'd buy one.

quote:
Originally posted by Killer_A-C
I bid on it myself. Those little plates on the back side look funny to me. The one Dave had didnt have them nor does the literature pic?????
Matt, are you refering to the little nubs along the sides above where the front axle fits into the uprights?? If these are what your refering to, yes mine had them. Maybe just not so pronounced as these. They are there for the verticle load that could be applied from too much tongue weight so the uprights don't tear away from the axle under too much load.

Rob-b had a few made a year or so ago and sold them on ebay. I have one of his. The one on ebay looks after market.

Here's one I made for my 716H a couple years ago: [img]http://images.ttyr2.com/albums/Metalwork/hitch2.jpg[/img]

Same seller, wish I could figure out how to reproduce one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=830&item=7235470919 Elon

I have an original one with those little nubs too. I bought mine used, and figured someone added them. Good thing I never cut them off - they look like an afterthought. Tim

I have a reproduction that doesn't have the nubs, only the slots for the axles... I can't use it one the front of my FDTs now because it hits the pulley for the snowblower...

Well, I ran out the numbers and a sheet of 1/4" material will yeild 24 hitches. So if I could build 24 the sell price would be $66 each plus freight. That would be a copy of the OEM [I would need to borrow one as a sample]complete less ball with black powder coat. If there is enough intrest I would make them or if the club wanted to put them on the gift shop I would sell them at a reduceed price and ship all 24 to whoever is running the shop. There you have it, Let me know. John

John-Holcomb, That is a reasonable price considering raw material, cutting, bending, welding, and powder coating the assembly. How would you cut the pieces? Water jet, plasma, laser, shear, etc?? I hope there is enough interest for you to run a batch although I don't need one. Thanks for putting in the time and effort to estimate the job. BTW, will these fit the front of a RBT?? Looks to me like they only work on the front of FDT's.

Roy, They will not fit the front of a RBT. The vertical pieces will not clear the grille on an RBT, and if they did, you could not open the hood with the hitch in place. Looked into that myself, before I decided to make the liftable rear hitch.

Roy, to answer your question we have a Trumpf CNC punch/plasma combo machine. It will punch a 4" hole in 1/2" plate with 20 tools in the tool changer, and burn 1/2" plate at at 190 IPM. Punch rate is up to 600 hits a minute depending on travel distance and tool to tool change in 1.2 seconds. Sheet size up to 60 x 144. John

I'd be interested in one also. I bought one of your grader blade hitches and liked it. GregB

John, Wow, impressive machine. ^ The combination of plasma and punch press has got to same time and money on your jobs. Thanks,

I'm interested in one also, if it will fit my 7116 or 3310. Nice to see you making real parts.

That hitch is nice, but it would not fit the front of any of my tractors. The rear-only version is much easier to build and would fit them all.

The top hitch ( MFG# 990479 ) can be use on either the front or rear of a FDT. (foot dragger tractor) It will also work on just the rear of a RBT. (running board tractor) The bottom hitch ( MFG# 990685 ) is a rear only hitch. It can be used on either a FDT OR RBT. The top hitch ( MFG# 990685 ) is basically the same hitch as the bottom hitch ( MFG# 990479 ) with the extra bar for the front hitch points and the notches for the front axle

Thanks Maynard, What I was saying above is that the dual purpose, front/rear hitch will not work on the front of any of the tractors that have the grille which sits forward of the front axle. I can't even use one on my 61 Wards, because I mounted the grille forward to make room for the 14 Hp Kohler that I have in it. The grille must sit behind the rear of the front axle for the dual purpose hitch to work. The rear-only hitch should work on them all. And the dual purpose hitch should work on the rear of them all.