Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil tube outlet nozzle

jorris942

Can any of you tell me what should be connected to the nozzle that's on the oil fill tube? Should their be a hose coming off if it directed to the bottom of the motor? Or should I just cap it off? What I would really like to know, is why is it there? Is it just a route for extra oil to escape if need be? Just looking for your expert advice...

What engine? Briggs or Kohler? On my Briggs it doesn`t have a nozzle on the oil fill tube but i have seen them on Briggs engines in older Sears suburban tractors.

Rod, i believe that he is talking about this hose coming out of the oil fill tube on the 14hp in the first picture. This is the only engine that I have seen with it. I have had a few Simplicity will oil fill tubes and none of the simplicity`s have had this. It must have been a specification the Sears required of Briggs. I would put a vacuum cap over it if it was mine.

Ray, That is not hooked up in some way to the crankcase vent system is it? Could it have a one-way valve and go to the carb inlet like the tube from the valve cover does? Hadn't seen one like that before. I'm with you. If it has the other crankcase vent on it also, I would just plug it. Could it be a connection to a fuel pump that runs off the crankcase vacuum? I have heard people talk about them, not sure how they hook up.

I've only seen one other, and if memory serves, it's the vacuum supply for the pulse fuel pump. It can be capped or plugged. Pat

The first picture that RayS posted is exactly what it looks like, but without the hose. The motor is a 15hp B&S, and I think I am going to cap it off. Hey RayS, that motor is the same color that mine was origianlly in my 3415H, is that the color that Simplicity used in the early 70's? I posted a question about this awhile ago and many of the responses were that the engine should be black and if it is the color blue then someone must have changed the motor. As far as my knoweledge of my machine, the motor has never been changed. Needless to say, the motor is now black. I plan to post finished pictures of the mower very soon. I think you guys will like it.

Jamie, that motor pictured is out of a Sears Suburban they used that blueish color. I have never seen a Simplicity with a oil fill tube like that. Rod, I will check tomorrow and see where it use to hook up at.

I have an engine out of a "Bluegrass" tractor made for the Belknap Hardware Co. in Louisville Ky. It was marked on the tractor as a 16hp and it has the hose off the oil tube the same way. It was vac supply for the fuel pump. I plugged it off when I installed the engine in a B-10.

The 16 HP I installed recently had a hole in the tube that had electrical tape over it. I couldn't figure out what good it was, except for a great place for a leak. I rebent the tube a bit, and bolted the fill tube in the small hole in the head instead of under a head bolt as it was when I got it. Now, the hole is below the rubber seal on the tube, and I have no need either for the hole, or the tape.