Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7016G (new model) - vs - 7016H ---- PICS ADDED

Simpleton7016

I have a lead on a fairly decent parts tractor for my 7016H. But it is a 6-speed with a bad transmission. So the fact that it has a bad transmission doesn't really bother me. Is everything else pretty much the same? My "H" is the older model with the outside headlights. And this "G" tractor is the newer model with the headlights inside the grill. I think the hoods should still be interchangable though, right? If I buy it, I will probably tear it down to pieces and save for when something does poop out on my "H", but I want to make sure there are not any other major surprises. God knows, I have been a member long enough now that I should know the answer, but I still do not understand all the subtle differences between the old vs newer models of the 7016 systems. Thanks in advance....pictures of the parts tractor forthcoming.

I think the only differences are the lights and the bevel gearbox shafts. The older ones had the shaft end cut down ,smaller threads and a smaller nut on the PTO end while the newer ones had the larger nut and the whole end of the shaft was threaded for it. Also the six speed was not available on the early ones. There are no special shafts on the six speed tranny either, so you can swap in another 3 speed and transfer all the pulleys on over to it.

Except maybe for the location of the regulator and some other wireing issues(maybe) swap the hood and you won't know the differance.

Actually, I was trolling through the archives and saw a suggestion from Sam a few years ago about mounting the side headlights on a hood with the inside headlights. I have a few extra hoods now....I might just try to pull this stunt off...if I ever get the spare time.

quote:
Originally posted by Bunky
What year was the Break For the early and late models??
I beleive 1976 was the first year for the newer style 7000 series. I think that was the first year for the newer style decks with the split cup arbor assemblies too. They also still had the starter generators on the Briggs engines, and I think that was the last year for that. I believe in 1977 they started using the ring gear type with the flywheel charging systems. If it wasnt 1977 is was for sure 1978.

Has anyone ever converted a 6 speed tractor to a hydrostatic unit? Is it possible? Is it advisable? Is it too complicated for someone of fairly limited mechanical know-how?

quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton7016
Has anyone ever converted a 6 speed tractor to a hydrostatic unit? Is it possible? Is it advisable? Is it too complicated for someone of fairly limited mechanical know-how?
Its all a bolt in operation on the 7000 and 7100 series. All you have to do is move everything from one tractor to the other. Just unbolt the bevel gear box/transmission/rear wheels from the tractor frame, unhook the driveshaft, unhook all the linkages and roll away from the frame. Then just roll it up to the other frame and re-install. Not a real hard job at all.The only thing you have to do is block up the rear end when its all reassembled and re-adjust the neutral setting on the transmision controls.

I had a 7016 MFG# 1690202 with the lights in the grill I bought new in late 1975 early 1976 it was the dealers first new style 7000 series he got in. My books list the old style 7016 MFG# 1690006 as 1975/1976. The new style MFG# 1690202 as 1977. This still had the Briggs with S/G. The MFG# 1690342 1978/1979 was Briggs with gear drive starter. 1979 was also first year of the 7100 series. Again this is from my Simplicity books. Simplicity didn't put much emphasis on model year as much as on model/mfg #. A tractor might have been made in 1976 but not sold untill 1979. The year it sold new (1979) became the year of the tractor.

The only problem that you may run into with swapping the hydro into a tractor that was a manual tranny is that the sleeve may not have been welded into the frame for the hydro lever. I have three frames. Two of them have the sleeve for the hydro lever, one does not. I used one of them for a shuttle tranny, since it mounts in a different location and the sleeve was there. The other two frames have both sleeves for the hydro lever welded into the frame. The one without the hydro sleeve was from a later model 710 3-speed, but it did have the sleeve that was needed for the shuttle lever. These sleeves are similar, but mounted at different spots on the right side of the frame. The others, from a 716H and a Homelite T13S both had the sleeves in the frame. Other than the sleeve for the lever, everything else should be a direct bolt in, especially if you get the whole assembly including BGB and side plates. If you need pictures, let me know.

OK, I went and looked at the tractor today. It is in a little rougher shape than I originally thought. Originally, I was thinking about making this a runner. But after seeing it, I am thinking I would strip it down and just take the good part off of it for use on my 7016H or 916H. The tranny only works in reverse and neutral, but it really doen't matter because I would not use it. It looks like a 42 inch deck with good arbors that I think I can use on my 48 inch deck. Is this correct? BGB is good. Engine turns over and gets spark, but he could not get it to start. Probably a bad carb. He said it ran when he put it away two years ago...I believe him. No other goodies to speak of. I can get this machine for $100 and he may take less. What do y'all think? Good deal or no deal? Also, any of you local members, let me know if there is anything in particular that you would like off if it. I might let you come and help yourself. Erik P.S. - My wife is gonna be so happy....

I'd definitely give $100 for it. That is a fairly good looking tractor, compared to many of the running machines that I have seen. All of the ones that I currently have were worse than that when I bought them. None of them had a working engine. To me, that tractor is complete enough to become a runner again. I also paid more than that for a non-running 16 Hp engine. I'd love to have that machine to fix up for my son.

OK, thanks guys. I'll go get it and next week I will be running an add in the classifieds this week that says : Trade 7016 parts tractor for a place to sleep. :D

Too good for parts! Clean it up and put a new seat on it and it would look pretty nice, I've fixed far worse than that. The trans shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement.