Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Shuttle Drive

Ryno

Well heres my first post. I picked up a Sovereign 3416S with a 48" Mowing deck for free. It hasnt been run in two years. I so i redid the carb, added a new spark plug, new battery and it fired up. Im in the process of cleaning the deck painting it and doing the maintance on it. As well as cleaning the mouse condo in the engine shrowd. I changed the belts to new NAPA variety ones. So my problem is this, when the tractor is put into FWD on the shuttle it runs relatively well in first and second till it meets a hill where it just doesnt care to move forward and more. Third and forth are only good and a perfectly flat plain with out steering. And as for throwing the drive in reverse forget it it barely moves. Is the shuttle drive any good or is a big turd? As im new to this please bare with me. Any help would be appreciated. -Ryan-

This link might offer some assistance. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=7733&SearchTerms=adjusting,shuttle

If you have the right belts it sounds like you need to adjust the shuttle drive. Here's the manual for your tractor: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_1360_00_SV_S.pdf Just follow the adjustment procedure.

Please don't forget to let us know how this turns out. We love pictures to!!:D Welcome to the site Ryan, and hopefully the club. With your "new" tractor it will be the best $10 a year you ever spent:) Dan aka IronPony

Thanks for the info guys. I probably wont get to adjusting it till the weekend, gonna try and concentrate on the deck right now. But i will be sure to get you some pictures either later tonight or tomorrow definately. Yes Dan i did signup for the $10 membership, so i do have access to all the areas. Greg ill post the belt numbers on here and you can let me know what you think. But im wondering if i should try to find a true V belt instead of the Vbelts with the flat bottom. -Ryan-

Well i think im a full blown member of the bloody knuckle division of the club now. :D Greg heres the belt numbers i got from NAPA. The big belt is 4L530W which is 1/2" x 53" and the small belt is 4L340W which is 1/2" x 34". Still working on pics.... -Ryan-

Yeah guess ill just have to do some more adjusting and see what happens. But its reassuring just the same. -Ryan-

Nothing works better than OEM Simplicity belts on a Simplicity tractor. They were designed specifically for that tractor not one size misfits all. 990872 Sovereign-3416S Drive Belt# 174731 Length 53.1" Type .HA Gwd. Drive Belt# 174883 Length 34" Type .HA Generator Belt# 157524 Length 39.1" Type .3/8

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Nothing works better than OEM Simplicity belts on a Simplicity tractor. They were designed specifically for that tractor not one size misfits all. 990979 Baron-3416S
Maynard is right about the belts. I always use the Simplicity belts. One correction though,.. the 990979 Baron is a 3414S. The 990872 Sovereign is the 3416S, but they use the same belts anyway.

OK, I would like to ask a question. If the 3414S is a "Baron", and the 3416S is a "Sovereign", what other differences, other than engine size, are there between these tractors, that would warrant different names? This is one thing that Simplicity did that I just haven't figured out yet.

Maynard, Are you saying that the only difference between the two is the decals, but the Sovereign was priced significantly higher? Or was it that the Sovereign had more options on the base model, like electric lift, or front PTO clutch, etc? I was thinking that there must have been some mechanical differences that I was overlooking. Guess that is why I couldn't see any real differences since the basic tractors are essentially identical.

The base model could be optioned out with the extras as needed. The top end model came with larger engine and could also be optioned out with extras as needed. Its called marketing strategy. Like installing a Briggs 16hp in some tractors and labeling them 14 hp and then advertising that Simplicity's 14 hp had more power than the competition's 14 hp at a lower price. The customer was getting more than he paid for.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
The base model could be optioned out with the extras as needed. The top end model came with larger engine and could also be optioned out with extras as needed. Its called marketing strategy. Like installing a Briggs 16hp in some tractors and labeling them 14 hp and then advertising that Simplicity's 14 hp had more power than the competition's 14 hp at a lower price. The customer was getting more than he paid for.
Are you saying that the 14 hp Briggs engines are really the same as the 16 hp Briggs? I checked the engines used in the 7100 series and I see that the 14 hp and 16 hp both have the same engine model number and type number specified. Was there any difference between the two hp ratings, carb, head, head gasket thickness, timing???

The engine model and type numbers tell it all. If they are the same they have the same parts. They are both 16 hp. Both the 7014S and 7114S that are Briggs powered are 16 hp.

If you look in a B/S engine book or look up the specs in most small engine books, you will see the 12Hp engine, and the 16 Hp engine. There are none listed between. The tractors, however, were sold with 13, 14, and 15 Hp engines. It appears that the 13 Hp engine is really a 12 Hp and the 14 and 15 Hp engines are really 16 Hp engines, and these mis-namings were just sales gimmicks. I know that in the Kohler engines a 14 HP used a 3.5 inch bore, and a 16 Hp used a 3.75 inch bore. In some of the Economy tractors that were sold as 14 Hp tractors, the engines actually had a 3 5/8 inch bore from the factory. This gave them more power than their competitors, but they were not sold as 15 Hp engines. We ran into this in tractor pulling, because the class my son pulled in was limited to 14 Hp. We found a couple of guys running these oddball (oversize) 14 Hp engines. Unfortunately to the competitors, they were able to present documentation that these engines were sold as 14 Hp from the factory. Quite a few deceptions were used to sell tractors during the 60s and 70s.

I had a 7014S with a factory 16hp Briggs and it had a Throttle stop bracket that attached to one of the float bowl screws. This bracket was not home brew, but very factory looking. Maybe horsepower limiter? It is still on there as I have never needed more power for what I do.

That throttle stop was the detuning of the 16hp. It prevented the throttle from full open when the governor calls for more power. Another note I have the Baron 3414S and a 3415H Sovereign of the same year. The only difference is the Sovereign has 10.5 wide tires on the back vs. the Baron's 8.5.