Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I must be missing something (besides my marbles)

biggie_rat

The 9020 I just bought needed some going through, but I'm doing fairly well, until I tried out the front and rear PTO's. I'm sure some of the owners of these larger tractors know about the wiring. The plugs on the back of the switches are 4 prong, nothing seems to be unplugged. I have a wiring diagram and do see a transmission neutral safety switch inline with the wiring on paper but not visible, but once the engine is running, transmission 3 spd. lever not in neutral, I would think it would be ready to flip the switches. The former owner said it worked last season (I have no reason not to believe him), but I have already found wiring plugs corroded or rusted and have cleaned them. I have juice to one prong which should continue to the next switch, but I'm not sure which prong is what. All seems well on the tractor after some TLC except for this and I must be overlooking some kind of safety switch. Thanks for your help. B.R.

My front clutch would not work this spring so I used a test light at the clutch and had no power, foung the switch corroded cleaned that and works now. The book sayes that if not used for a time to turn on and off 5 or 6 times to start.

I jumped the gun on writing the original post. You would need to see it rather then for me to describe it. As in 90% of most of my repairs (especially involving electrical), the problem was - the former owner tried to fix it himself. All is well now but needs a headlight or two and an oil change. Always remember to read the manual and think about it a while before you shoot it. Thanks for your input Levi. B.R.

Oh yeah, a helpful hint. Turn off the radio or TV so you can concentrate on what your doing when trying to figure out an electrical problem and you may not spend all day on it like I did. B.R.