Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

NOS or replacement mower decks

dabbler

Does anyone have any info on obtaining new mower decks for older Simplicity tractors. The 42" deck on my 1972 3115H has suffered death by rust (my fault, bad storage) and I would like to replace it with one as close to new as possible. Just rebuilt the engine, etc., on my tractor last year and hate the thought of replacing it. Thanks.

Thanks. Did that and am waiting for response. Was kind of hoping some outfit was manufacturing replacements or had some new old stock stuff on hand. Chuck.

Did you check with a Simplicity dealer? I think that they may still be available from the factory. Also you should check with Jack's Small engine, and Sandy Lake. They are both site sponsors and have direct links from the SimpleTrACtors page.

I bought a new deck shell last year for my Simplicity 3410 from a local dealer.I paid $237 for it. Correct me if I am wrong but after looking for a used one for over a year it seems to me thet 90% of the decks on the used 3000 series tractors either had decks missing or they were all rotted out.I assume there was a flaw in the manufacturing process but this is just my guess and that is why you will not find a decent used one.I think your chances of finding a good used one for this series tractor are very slim.There are lots of B series used decks out there in decent shape.

quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie_A
I bought a new deck shell last year for my Simplicity 3410 from a local dealer.I paid $237 for it. Correct me if I am wrong but after looking for a used one for over a year it seems to me thet 90% of the decks on the used 3000 series tractors either had decks missing or they were all rotted out.I assume there was a flaw in the manufacturing process but this is just my guess and that is why you will not find a decent used one.I think your chances of finding a good used one for this series tractor are very slim.There are lots of B series used decks out there in decent shape.
I think the biggest problem and the cause of the decks rotting is lack of preventive maintenance. Tractors that sit out in the weather and never get the covers removed for cleaning will rot out fast. Grass alone and the moisture in it will will rot thru the tops of the decks. I run my mowers with out the covers and all mine are in good shape. I don`t think there is a flaw in the manufacturing process.

I have seen a couple of B series decks rusted out but not as many as the RBT decks. Many of the FDT's have had the covers lost over the years and that may have helped, or leaky engines lubricated the deck and prevented rust. As far as I can tell there is little difference in the deck shell, maybe the painting process was not as good on later decks.