Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

landlord 2012 '67

I'm a newbie in the antique tractor restoring hobbie. I recently purchased a '67 2012, dispite the age this is an impressive machine. the fellow that owned it was rough on it, and ruined the carborator on it. I need to know some basics on it as the numbers have been worn off the engine, also I need to know where to start in locating this assembly, your site is quite informative, I have been a frequent visitor, and would be at a complete loss with out your great information. please help the field is growing taller daily thanks

Sam,
Congratulations on your purchase of this classic. First, go to the "Simplicity" link on the home-page, then to "1967 2012", for some beautiful pictures of what your tractor used to look like and perhaps could again. Unfortunately, the engine specs were not included in the advertising shown. It is a 30xxxx (30 cubic inch) Briggs and, with Synchro-Balance, should be a nice smooth runner. The tractor is also referenced on page one of the "X-Ref Table", but I agree that I think it is a '67, not '66 as shown. From nearly anywhere that sells or services B&S, get yourself a copy of the 270962 "Repair Manual For Single Cylinder 4-Cycle Engines" for info on the carburetor (and the rest of the engine). It would be a "large two-piece Flo-Jet" on that engine. Your Sim dealer ought to be able to tell you what specific engine it should be, assuming originality.
Fred

Sam, I had a carburetor rebuilt at my Simplicity dealer for $12.00, I toke it to him because the carburetor has a pressed in needle valve seat and they had what's needed to change it. I don't know what's wrong with the one on your tractor, but check with the dealer it may not be all that expensive to have him fix it. Tim

The original engine was 300421 0120-01 67?????? The numbers can be hard to see but should be below the carb, slightly back and above the frame on the flywheel shroud. Sometimes sandpaper and a magnifer can be used to read them if they have been weathered.