Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B110 was hard to start.

McGill

My 110 has been great since I bought it, but I just had a very hard time getting it to start today. I changed the plug and finally got it to go. What type of tuneup stuff should I be doing?

Hi, I would recommend that you clean and reoil the foam air cleaner about every 8 to ten hours of use. I would also change the oil every 10 to 15 hours of running if you are mowing. These engines with no oil filter will run for years with clean oil, but with no filter the only to get out the abrasives that get in the oil is to change it. Any thing that gets in the engine either around or through the air cleaner or around the throttle shaft in the carb etc. stay in the engine until the oil is changed. Oil is cheap compared to parts. As for the plug, I would probably change it once a year. However as long as it starts and runs good it won't do any damage if you don't change it. If you were paying someone to service it you would want a new plug as preventive maintenance or a comeback.. If you do your own work, you can change it when it causes problem. However changing it may save the frustration of wanting to mow and go to something else and the mower won't start or run well. This ALWAYS happens when you have graduation, or company or something. [There is a little GENIE hidden in these machines that senses these times.] Good luck, Al

Not only is there a little Genie that senses when you really need you tractor and don't have time to work on it, but if you have more than one tractor they communicate with each other and have problems at the same time. Sometimes they even plot with you household appliances to have a mass machine rebellion.

Hi, NEVER NEVER NEVER talk about them where they can hear. We just bought a new dryer last summer and my wife said: " I suppose the refrigerator will be next, its about 28 yrs old and never given us any problems. I said: "Don't talk in front of it". Sure as hell it heard us and within a week Croaked. I'm tellen ya, talk nice in front of them. Al

Now you folks are beginning to understand how it works! Al, is right. Never talk about the machinery. It will hear you and respond. Usually in a negative way. On the other hand, you car will run better if you pet the dashboard and tell it how great it is and how much you love it.. 8o) Roy