Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
gr-made

K361QS Timing

gr-made
After experiencing ignition problems with my 718H I replaced the coil/condensor/points/plug. I was able to get her running again but I am having a terrible time trying to get her timed. I have tried to gap the points at every point from .017 to .025 to no avail. I have it gapped at about .020 right now and it is backfiring pretty bad. Can anyone give me tips on what is the correct procedure for getting the timing right. Thanks.

Al
Hi, Locate the S mark on your flywheel and put a distinguishing mark on it like a yellow or white dot of paint etc. If you can't find it you can use some sandpaper on a stick and turn the engine over. Once you find it S and mark it, I like to make a mark [line]on the flywheel housing and the screen [on the outside] so it is easier to see. [Anytime we have one of these engines apart we mark the screen and housing with a yellow "Deco-wrtie" paint pen.] It always makes life easier later when we service it and want to check the timing. Next connect a test light from the battery to the points. With the key off, slowly turn the engine over until the points break. [Light goes out] It should happen right at the S mark. If not turn the flywheel back about 20 degrees and watch it again. [The reason to turn back at least 20 degrees is to go back far enough that when you go forward again all of the slack is out of the timing gears.] Next set it right on the mark and adjust the points so the light JUST goes out. Then recheck it, if necessary make another fine adjustment until it breaks right on the mark. Then start the tractor and check it with an automotive neon timing light to be really accuarte. If you set it with a test light carefully you should be right on the money. The reason the gap may be off is that the camshaft wears where the "bump" is that opens the points and to get the timing right this is the only way, and it means compensating on the gap. Be sure to use the S mark, The T mark is Top Dead Center and you will be 20 degrees late. S is 20 degrees advanced which is correct. Good luck, Al